+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The push for kindy - should I delay?

My son is turning 4. He was at childcare (pre-kindy) and initially did well but a staffing change saw him regress quite significantly (and negatively) so we took him out. As a result, he flourished.

I have been getting pressure from various people pushing me to put him into kindy.

While I value education, I don't believe he absolutely needs to go just to be socialized which is normally what the reasoning is behind this pressure.

I have attended childcare centres and schools (some have insisted that kindy must be outside of a childcare centre) and all I see is 30 kids crammed into a room competing for toys, time and attention. Invariably, it's loud, chaotic and...kinda pointless.

I don't see any issue in delaying entry. After all he's just turned 4 and will not be starting school until 6.

Can anyone give me their insights regarding this please?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not clear from the OP whether you mean delaying kindy until next year, or are considering not attending kindy at all, and just starting school at 6. I'll share my experience:

My DS1 just started school this year. He will be 6 in June. I would not say that the childcare 2-3 days a week he started at age 20 months was essential, but I would say that there are essential skills that childcare taught him that I myself would not have known or thought of to teach, that are essential for coping at school. For example:

- Confidence in speaking to, asking questions to, and communicating needs to an adult, especially a complete stranger- his Prep teacher was sick this week and he had two brand new sub teachers on different days.
    - Complete independence with toileting
    - Not being distracted or derailed off task by a loud environment, other people doing other tasks, other children's mis-behaviour or antics
    - Waiting, sharing and taking turns with a large group of children
    - Ability to problem-solve own problems, like not being able to manage his shoelace knot, a packet of food he is unable to open, etc, when teacher is not available

If he was at home with me full-time until starting school I know he would be on the back foot, and not as independent as the other children, because I help him at home a lot more than is possible at childcare.

I had no option regarding childcare, I needed to work. But I am glad he learned some essential skills for school at childcare, because I wouldn't have been able to teach him them at home. Good luck! It's a hard choice.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (18-03-2016),Mrs Tickle  (27-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he'll be going to main****** schooling, I'd recommend some form of kindy prior to that. That could be just a few short sessions a week, but for the reasons Lilahh mentioned - largely related to confidence and functioning in a school-like environment.

Classroom expectations can be hard on little ones... they're expected to do certain tasks at times set by someone else; sit and be quiet when asked; share resources in a certain way; ask if they need help etc. A lot of that can be quite a change to the home environment.

That said, if he won't be starting school for 2 years, and you don't see any benefit at this point, then I certainly don't think there's any NEED to send him.

Just my view Not based on experience with my kids, but as a teacher and from many discussions over this kind of issue with other teachers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So he will start school in 2017?Are you considering delaying kinder until 2016? Or no kinder prior to him starting school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    If he'll be going to main****** schooling, I'd recommend some form of kindy prior to that. That could be just a few short sessions a week, but for the reasons Lilahh mentioned - largely related to confidence and functioning in a school-like environment.

Classroom expectations can be hard on little ones... they're expected to do certain tasks at times set by someone else; sit and be quiet when asked; share resources in a certain way; ask if they need help etc. A lot of that can be quite a change to the home environment.

That said, if he won't be starting school for 2 years, and you don't see any benefit at this point, then I certainly don't think there's any NEED to send him.

Just my view Not based on experience with my kids, but as a teacher and from many discussions over this kind of issue with other teachers.
    This.

Do you mean not putting him in pre-school? They have to start school (kindy year or prep in QLD) the year they turn 5 and must have started before their 6th birthday. Well at least in NSW. DS did 2 days of pre-school a week for 12 months, before starting school. I think he would have really struggled with school if we had not have done this, mainly for the above reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the confusion, ladies!
    I mean delay schooling as in not do kindy at all.

I admit that I am still feeling the effects of a very, very poor daycare service I had my children in last year and it took me a little while to counter its effects. I admit I am loathe to engage in that experience again.

Thanks

Edited to add: Kindergarten is not compulsory in South Australia. Schooling is compulsory when the child turns six unless you have an exemption for home schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has just started kindergarten ( compulsory in NSW ) it's in a school and in my experience nothing at all like pre-school/childcare. He's very lucky to be in a class of 18 (public school) it's school, they are learning not playing and subject to the same routines, rules and disciplinary procedures as the rest of the school. Having said that, it may be a completely different set up in SA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kindergarten is pre school. School starts in Year 1. However, the kindy programme is different to childcare in that it's structured and has learning outcomes. However, unlike school, a registered teacher is not required to run them. In NSW schooling is compulsory by age 6. Kindy is compulsory but you start it later.

Kindy is not compulsory in Qld. It's like SA in that regard but unlike Qld, SA has this stupid age rule that limits to one intake a year. Absolutely mind bogglingly ridiculous.

Maybe I should move states. lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In SA kindy isnt compulsory. School then starts with Reception which is the first compulsory year then goes to year1 and so on.
    We werent going to put dd in to kindy, but glad we did.
    She learned social skills needed and how to handle then length of a school day and school term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our school there is a transition year before kindy. Is that available to you?? Its structured more like school but with more play.

The small class sizes is why I chose the school. Its a moderate fee private school. But well worth it. There is only 15 in her class how cool is that.