+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Conceiving #2 after fertility assistance?

My background:
    * TTC naturally for 18 months, nil pregnancies.
    * Saw a FS, shown to have PCOS with insulin resistance. Can ovulate but not regularly with cycles ranging from 21 days up to 90 days.
    * Did 6 months 50mg Clomid plus Metformin. Ovulated each month but nil pregnancies.
    * IVF cycle May 2013, poorly responded resulting in long stim. Transferred 1 x Day 3. Zero frosties Nil pregnancy.
    * IVF cycle August 2013 with acupuncture. Improved response. Transferred 1 x Day 5. All other embies unsuitable to freeze.
    * SUCCESS - pregnant with my baby boy born May 2014.
    * Currently he is 10 months old and fully breastfed, I have no cycle which I am not sure if that is a result of breastfeeding or my PCOS.

Now we are keen to try for #2 but I am not ready to wean bub until closer to 12 months (when I will be returning to work). Given that #1 took close to 30 months to conceive - should I get a referral to the FS now and be prepared?

I don't want to waste my money going to a GP for a referral if they are just going to tell me that I should wean my son and try naturally first ..... but I really feel it is unlikely we will naturally conceive.

Any tips or advice please?
    How did you go about conceiving #2 after using fertility assistance for #1?
    Last edited by nirok; 26-03-2015 at 21:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I guess it depends how soon you want to start trying..and whether you will try naturally for awhile or go straight back into fertility treatments. If you are happy to try naturally for a little until you are ready to wean your bub then I wouldn't bother getting another FS referral yet.

My first bub was the result of a FET cycle. He was born Jan 2012 and when he was 7 months old my period came back (even though I was still breast feeding him very regularly). I wasn't on any birth control and we weren't using contraception as we didn't think I could fall pregnant naturally...BUT I fell pregnant that cycle. Totally shocked, but that little miracle is almost 2 now.

We were planning to go back to see our FS once our first bub turned 1 and were going to seek his advice on whether I needed to stop breast feeding to do a cycle.

I'm sure you will come to a decision that suits you best. Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd get a referral and appt booked and start acupuncture soon. I srarted the acupuncture in august, weaned in October, fs appt in november, cycled in December (fet) & success first go.
    The fs said it improves chances when breastfeeding ceased.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi nirok I conceived dd back in 2010 and she was born in May 2011 after 2 cycles of FSH injections. We decided to see our GP near to dd's second birthday about TTC no. 2 even though we initially wanted a four year gap between children as we knew we might be in for a long haul due to my pcos and past history. Straight away our GP said as we needed help last time the chances were we would probably need help again and was happy to write a referral as soon as we wanted but as we weren't in a rush we did several cycles with gp's observation unfortunately with no ovulation. Unfortunately we are still on our journey of TTC no 2 after several cycles of FSH and have now moved onto ivf as my hormones seem to have got much worse and we have come across many brick walls. Hopefully this won't be the case for you and things will move faster, just wanted to reply to your message to let you know that if you suspect you will need help again then push for a referral and stand your ground. Good luck hun maybe see your GP before weaning bub just to seek his advice in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It really depends on how quickly you want to have your next bub. Our first was conceived naturally just before starting IVF which took us all by surprise! We weren't willing to try for an extended period of time for baby #2 so we went back to the FS after about 5 or 6 months of trying on our own. It took a while to get started and then took 3 cycles over a 6 month period to fall pregnant. So the whole process from first appointment with FS to pregnancy was about 9-10months. We started trying when DD was around 1yo and ended up with a 3yr gap. It worked well for us in the end but if you're keen for a smaller age gap I wouldn't bother trying on your own for long. You can try while you're getting all the IVF stuff sorted anyway, and even if you decide to delay cycling at least you'll have the ball rolling and ready to go when you're ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi nirok! How are you and your little guy? We were ready for #2 a while ago. I weaned in December and I'm heading to the clinic this morning to say hi and find out how long the wait list is. My cycle returned 6wk pp and we haven't conceived naturally so I'm not wasting anytime. I hope to go again after August once I've been back at work long enough to qualify for ppl again. I worry that it might take another 4 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your replies ladies ..... sorry a little late to come back - decided to go internet and social media free for a little bit!

I think i see that the general consensus is that there is no harm in getting the ball rolling.

Oddly enough - i'm actually starting to wonder if my "cycle" is back or at least trying to come back. While i havent had AF at all - my skin is horrible, my body hair is growing rampantly (male pattern growth yuck!!!) and im gaining unexplained weight despite no diet or exercise changes. These are all the signs of my PCOS - the weight i think is a result of the insulin resistance which was previously managed with Metformin and a diet i dont think i should do while still bf-ing.

I've started the process of weaning the little guy by dropping our lunch feed which is going fine so far.
    He's due for 12 month needles soon so I'll make my doc appt at the same time and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.