+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How much formula for 8mo?

How much should he be having in a 24hr period? He's about 7.5kg, 8mo, and isn't having any solids. Most things I have found online assume an established solids diet by this age. I'm tired and couldn't be bothered trawling through Google so hopefully BH land can help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There's actually a formula that you work out yourself but I don't know it. Yep...I'm a great help.
    By weight, feeds, etc.

I think my formula tin says 210ml and u offer that every few hours like 3-4 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Each kid is different with solids. Both mine didn't get into it till 8-9mths. I would suggest you aim at the milk needed for a 6mth old and work your way down from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Off the topic....is the no solids by choice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's sick so I don't think he can eat. Hugo still has around 5 feeds per day at 1. But at that age around 12 bottles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm. All I can give you is what our 8mth old is doing, but he's having solids which isn't much help.
    He drinks nearly 600mL of formula across the day in three bottles. He has porridge for breakfast, lunch varies between a sandwich or some meat and veg, dinner is usually what we are having, except when he isn't allowed due to deli foods or honey, etc. and he'll have his own meat and veg. He also has afternoon tea of a variety of things - fruit, cheese, corn thins, dried fruit, muffins, pancake. He's also fond of raisin toast and hot cross bun. He also has some Greek yoghurt most days.

If your bub isn't having solids yet, I'd imagine that they would be still having all their bottles. Have you looked on the side of the tin? Sometimes it tells you roughly how much a six month old who isn't on solids yet would have. Just as a guide as your bub would be needing more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just found this...

If your baby isn't eating solids yet, there’s a rough guide that you can use to work out how much formula to give.

Your baby will want between 150ml and 200ml of formula per kilogram of his body weight every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's 150mls for each kilo gram.
    So if you're LO is 8kgs then you could work it out based on that.
    However. .. That said..... At that age I was told they just don't need as much as that. .. so a minimum is 100ml per kgs.
    That was from dietician at hospital.
    My DD would have been lucky to get 100mls per kilo. .. And she's still growing etc.
    So check with your doctor too. I guess it depends how much your ds will tolerate too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I was using 150ml per kg as an estimate but wasn't sure if that still applied at this age. I guess it makes sense given he's not on solids.

In that case he's well under what he should be having

He's not having solids because he isn't tolerating them, it's definitely not by choice. He wants to eat real food, he is always grabbing at our food but he can only successfully swallow thin purées. Anything else causes him to vomit.

We're seeing his paed tomorrow and we've been trying to avoid hospitalising him, I'm half expecting his paed to want to admit him - he was almost admitted earlier in the week but we were able to keep trying at home for a bit longer. We have had a bunch of tests and more to come.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My Bub is 6 months and has under 100mls/kg. I feed her as much as she will take. I have been told that as long as she is happy, hits milestones then that's probably just how she is. Can you offer an extra feed in there somewhere?