+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Catheter being pushed out during labour

I am just wondering if anyone can help me understand whether or not for an inflated catheter to be pushed out during labour whilst the mother is pushing. Is this normal or it means the catheter wasn't inserted properly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is generally 10mls in the balloon. If it was done correctly you'd have a pretty sore/ damaged urethra if you pushed it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's very interesting as I didn't know this.
    This happened to me and the midwife made the comment 'whoops that wasn't meant to happen'. I've been plague with regular uti's ever since and it happened nearly 6 years ago. I'm at my wits end as to what I'm doing wrong and I can only think that they may have damaged my urethra and it's allowing these uti to keep reoccurring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pink Popsicle I am not sure of your background but in the maternity settings I am used to it is absolutely not standard to use 10mls in intrapartum caths. 5mls max is the standard I see. This is then removed at the start of second stage.
    Op have you seen a urologist? Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agree with @RedCreamingSoda, we use 5ml in the balloon max during labour and it should then be inflated to the full 10ml post delivery. It is possible for it to come out, but not likely. Most of the women I've seen who have had catheters fall out are demented old women who don't seem to be aware of their catheters as they walk away from the bed/rail the bag is hooked on to, or that they've pulled out. (Ouch!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine fell/came out, didn't feel it as I had a epidural but It did ache a little for about a week after labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Pink Popsicle I am not sure of your background but in the maternity settings I am used to it is absolutely not standard to use 10mls in intrapartum caths. 5mls max is the standard I see. This is then removed at the start of second stage.
    Op have you seen a urologist? Good luck. X
    I stand corrected :-) acute surgical not obstetrics here :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all for your responses. I do believe it wasn't inserted correctly and I have some form of damage because of it. I have constant uti's up to 8 a year.
    I've seen numerous doctors who have brushed of my concerns, although 1 did refer me to a gynocologist who could not see any problems, but then did refer me to have a internal ultrasound.
    At the time I unfortunatley never got around to having the ultrasound done, but wish I had of because my uti's keep reoccurring does anyone think that the catheter problems may of caused damage to my uretha and have caused these ongoing problems?
    Last edited by Kt5788; 27-03-2015 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say it is possible but you really need to be thoroughly assessed before you will know for sure. Unfortunately I think there are some doctors that just think UTI's are kinda normal for women. They just give antibiotics and dont bother looking for the cause. I would be telling my GP that I need a referral to a urologist. Don't take no for an answer. Seeing a women's physio might also be a good idea. Also in the mean time, I am guessing you have had a fair amount of antibiotics over this time. That can mess with the balance of microorganisms in your body and this might be making you a bit more susceptible to the UTI's coming back again and again. Maybe pop into a good health food shop and see if they have some high quality probiotics. I am sure I have seen some specifically for UTI's. Good luck. X

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (27-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou! My appointment is this afternoon, I'm going to push for a referral to a urologist to try to get to the bottom of this. I agree, a lot of Drs just push for the antibiotics to be given and not try to find an answer for the reoccurrence of it.
    Your advice is muchly appreciated!!!