+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Possible theft at toddler's birthday party - wwyd?

My sister had her toddler's birthday party on the weekend and at the party an envelope containing $100 was dropped outside in the garden.
    The money was to be a gift for my nephew from my parents.

Upon realising the envelope was dropped in the garden my mother went out to look for it. She asked some children (age around 8-12) whether they saw the envelope and they said their dad picked it up. He jumped in quickly to claim it had only been a lolly wrapper.

My sister asked that individual's daughter (age 5) whether she had seen the envelope in the garden and she said her dad picked it up and put it in his pocket. He denied it and said it had been a lolly wrapper.

So my question is should my sister have approached that individual about the money or left it and done nothing?
    There is no proof this person pocketed the money apart from his kids all saying he picked up the envelope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ew, that is awkward. If you've asked the guy and he says he didn't pick it up I don't think much more could be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister didn't ask individual directly. My mother told her to leave it. The individual is unfortunately family (married to our cousin) so my parents didnt want to make a big scene at the party.
    But my sister was fuming about it and wanted to let him know she was aware he pocketed the money.
    Last edited by Night Owl; 25-03-2015 at 13:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm sounds dodgy to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like this Dad did the dodgy.

It's too late to do anything now really, apart from not inviting this individual to her house again on the suspicion he is a dishonest person.

As for what she should have done, it's really his word against the child's. She could have asked him to show her the contents of his pockets, but that's a very confrontational move. More than likely he'd be disgusted about being accused, guilty or not.

It's an awkward, difficult situation. How utterly wrong if he did take a little boy's birthday money