+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Discuss it with your midwife/obstetrician antenatally.

The majority of birth plans I've seen are pretty normal and have requests that are normal care. In 5 years I've only seen one birth plan that was "unsafe". Unfortunately it wasn't discussed antenatally so led to a high stress and negative environment during labour as I (and our doctors) tried to reason with the couple about why their request was dangerous and life-threatening. The negativity and stress could have been avoided if it had been discussed calmly in antenatal clinic and not when the woman was 7cm dilated and getting ready to push out a baby.
    Can I ask what is was that they wanted? I'm curious as to what it could have been. Maybe they didn't realise it was unsafe and in that case it might be good everyone else to know too 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Discuss it with your midwife/obstetrician antenatally.

The majority of birth plans I've seen are pretty normal and have requests that are normal care. In 5 years I've only seen one birth plan that was "unsafe". Unfortunately it wasn't discussed antenatally so led to a high stress and negative environment during labour as I (and our doctors) tried to reason with the couple about why their request was dangerous and life-threatening. The negativity and stress could have been avoided if it had been discussed calmly in antenatal clinic and not when the woman was 7cm dilated and getting ready to push out a baby.
    Curious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelySavvy View Post
    Curious!
    Same!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My birth plan included no epidural but I was happy to have gas. My partner didn't want to cut the cord. Bub was to have immediate contact with me as soon as he came. If any complications an emergency c-section was fine (big baby) but bub was to go to dad immediately if fine. And I wanted no visitors until the following day. That was all he was my 4th baby and my first with a birth plan. It was very calm relaxed and fast Labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had no plan with my first and things didn't go well - a typical induction and cascade of intervention. I was fortunate that I didn't end up with a c-section.
    With my second, I was fairly sure I'd need another induction because of my health issues but I had a birth plan that included:
    Mobile monitoring only
    No syntocin drip initially. I did consent to ARM after I'd been in labour for a few hours.
    No offer of drugs
    No episiotomy
    Immediate skin to skin
    DH to go with baby in the event of a transfer to NICU/SCN

I ended up having another induction but it was a very positive experience.

My third birth was an emergency c-section at 31 weeks so not much prior planning there but I did yell a lot about DH going with him and not leaving his side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My plans.
    No 1 had none just went with the flow. I was induced and had a nice easy labour no problems at all.
    No 2 to 4 simple plan dot point. From memory about 4 or 5 things like skin to skin and mum or dad to stay with bub at ALL times. No epidural.
    Bub no5 no epidural. Mum or dad to stay with bub. Almost had a csection. Was transferring on to the table when bub piped and scared the living poo out of everyone.

Bub No 6 only thing was no drip in elbow. Well of course that went a stray when after serval attempts that was the only spot they could get it in. His labour was horrible. I had allergic reaction to meds. It was 30 plus hours of pure torture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For dd - water birth, do not offer any pain relief, natural 3rd stage, delayed cord clamping. If for any reason we were to be transferred to the hospital, dh was to remain with dd at all times (where medically able).

Ds was a planned cs due to being footling breech. I was encouraged to do a simple plan for the cs and included (all where medically able) skin to skin asap, remain in recovery with me and dh again to remain with him if we needed to be seperated

May have been some other points but these were the main ones I can think of quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had a birth plan but never got it out. My partner just told the midwife what we had discussed (as I wasn't in a state to speak). My after birth plan didn't go to plan at all as we had complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had no birth plan as I was just going to go with the flow. That worked well even though I was being induced until Id been pushing for 1.5 hours and no baby. This is where I'd wished I'd considered this outcome and made a birth plan. I had an emergency c section as DS was posterior and his head apparently was on the wrong angle. Apparently there was little chance I would have ever pushed him out naturally. But they didn't give DP a chance to cut the cord. There was no delayed cord clamping. I wasn't given a chance for skin to skin and DS was then taken away with DP while i remained in recovery. I should have a birth plan so that none of these things that I have feelings of regret for, happened. I will be including such things in my birth plan next time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think my next one will be a home water birth. With a registered midwife and doula