+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My plan was just to get the baby out like others have said. I feel like planning something that's completely out of your control can lead to disappointment.

I ended up having an elective CS so that went to plan . I did state though if I was given a GA my sister was to cuddle the baby till I woke up. I didn't even know about the vitamin k/hep shots until after my first was born. I probably shouldn't have skipped those classes!!
    I have to disagree, the birth plan can include a lot of care instructions for the baby which shouldn't be considered 'completely out of your control' at all!!

My birth plan for DS was mostly centred around the dos and donts if he ended up in nursery (dummy only with procedures, no formula, strictly no visitors until after I had been able to meet, even if that was days etc). Lots of worst case stuff too because of DD's experience.

The 'no visitors until mum has met' was really really important to me. It's not automatically assumed, my in laws got to meet DD before I did and I still feel sad about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I have to disagree, the birth plan can include a lot of care instructions for the baby which shouldn't be considered 'completely out of your control' at all!!

My birth plan for DS was mostly centred around the dos and donts if he ended up in nursery (dummy only with procedures, no formula, strictly no visitors until after I had been able to meet, even if that was days etc). Lots of worst case stuff too because of DD's experience.

The 'no visitors until mum has met' was really really important to me. It's not automatically assumed, my in laws got to meet DD before I did and I still feel sad about that.
    Fair enough, I guess you can't assume everyone has common sense/courtesy.

Thanks
    Reviews

This thread has been so enlightening to me (and a bit scary!). I would be devastated if my family (who I have rocky relationships with) met my DD before I did. I just assumed that there would be no visitors at all without my consent. I am definitely putting this on my birth plan - thank you!! I am so sorry you had to go through that.

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @GM01 funny you should comment in here! I actually saw your birth plan posted in another section of the forum and thought to myself that I liked a lot of what you had written, mine is loosely based off of yours from your last bub, so thankyou!! 😊

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My plan was almost mostly what I wanted if I had to have a c-sec as the birth centre embodied my birth philosophies.

I ended up transferring to delivery, having an epidural and synto but I felt like my plan was still followed as I ended up choosing to transfer after spending 24 hours stuck at 5cm!

It also included things like delayed cord clamping, not weighing/measuring until he had a chance to feed (we had about an hour of skin to skin and he found his own way to the breast), consent for hep b and vit k, DP to catch the baby if possible (she did).

I was very happy with my birth even though it didn't go according to plan as I felt I got to make the choices myself.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My plan was just to get the baby out like others have said. I feel like planning something that's completely out of your control can lead to disappointment.

I ended up having an elective CS so that went to plan . I did state though if I was given a GA my sister was to cuddle the baby till I woke up. I didn't even know about the vitamin k/hep shots until after my first was born. I probably shouldn't have skipped those classes!!

I have to disagree too. I read somewhere (I'll have a look where exactly later) but apparently women with high expectations are more likely to be happy with whatever the outcome. My birth plan didn't go fully to plan but I'm more than happy with how ds' birth went. I disagree that birth is completely out of your control. It is your body doing all the work (with some help from baby) after all!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I couldn't find exactly where I read it but found similar here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...004.x/abstract

"Our results did not support popular stereotypes: high expectations were not found to be bad for women, although low expectations often were. Information and feeling in control were consistently associated with positive psychological outcomes"

And here seems to find that feeling/being in control helps satisfaction with labour & birth outcome:

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/...a63bfa6139.pdf

Eta: just flipped through the book and it's likely I read it in Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering which referenced this article:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12011880

GBGM says "note also that contrary to medical belief, women with high expectations are more likely to be satisfied."
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 26-03-2015 at 21:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have low expectations at all, I just didn't have much of a birth plan. And I have to say I had an absolutely amazing labour

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mint was very basic and short. 4 points
    - no epidural
    - water birth if middie on duty was qualified
    - partner to tell me sex of the baby
    - allow cord to stop pulsing before cutting it

I feel that birth (especially your first) is such an unknown quantity that to go in with too much of a plan is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

Molros  (28-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wrote a birth plan for my first and most went to plan but it was my husband who made sure of it. I was disappointed that even though I was in the birthing centre rather than the normal birth suite so that I had as natural as possible I found that the midwives were so clinical. This time I'm birthing in a hospital who specializes in natural birth where they promote what I want so I'm really excited and comforted knowing they are anti clinical.

I also think going into birth relies a lot on your mind set.

Good luck with your birth plan. You can have it your way if you believe that that you can.