+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    I am interested in all the ladies who put no formula on their birth plans. When I had my DD1 it seemed the midwives were all generally very pro-breastfeeding/anti-formula. I was not able to breastfeed immediately so they hand expressed me to get colostrum to feed DD with using a syringe. I can't imagine any of them would have given her formula esp without my express permission. Is this something that actually happens??
    It's to avoid confusion in case you are out of it or dad is not sure. I went into shock after dd1 was born so the staff whisked dh away with the baby. He tho knew I wanted to bf so waited the 2hrs or so till I was lucid. Dd1 was NOT happy.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

hollypolly  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pp, my caseload midwives were all over our birth plan. I had a birth suite midwife for the second half of my labour and she didn't read it. I had to argue with her about not wanting an epidural whilst transitioning because she had assessed me as 6cm with the urge to push. Like 10 min later the Dr assessed me as 10cm. So that wasn't fantastic, but I know the Dr read it because one of my few memories was her saying "I know your birth plan says you don't want an episiotomy, but I think you need it", so I think it depends really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    For those who have used a birth an before, in your experience do the MW/medical team actually read it?
    Yes they do. Both my ob, replacement ob and most of the midwives knew of it. Only one idiot mw tried to assist and was told to check the plan.

I also was informed in the beginning that if there was a true emergency and lives were at risk then the plan comes second.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to keep/take home the placenta put that on there too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For those who have used a birth an before, in your experience do the MW/medical team actually read it?
    I read every birth plan that is given to me in birth suite. It's recommended women hang on to it until they're actually in labour otherwise it can get lost/filed in the chart. I love reading them because it makes me aware of what the woman is after without having to play 20 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Had an A4 sign of baby care to put on crib in case bub is in nursery (so there is no confusion as to your choices when you are not there - ie. Someone many think bub has 'missed' the hep B shot rather than parents refusing). Birth plans dont get read after the birth. )
    Agree that birth plans tend to not get read after the fact, but I can assure you if a parent declines hep b or vitamin k it is documented in the notes. In fact if a parent declines Vitamin K then a paed has to counsel the parents on their decision not to give it and document the same in their notes, so it's definitely something that gets handed over from shift to shift. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere but in QLD we can't give Hep B at birth without signed consent on a QLD Government consent form. The same form must be signed if parents decline as well. We don't give anything to healthy/term babies without parents knowledge or consent. It's obviously a different story for prem babies/sick babies etc as sometimes decisions have to be made quickly, but the doctors are very good at talking to the parents as close to the event as possible if they can't talk to them before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I spoke to my Ob and said my plan was to get my baby out safely and he had my consent to do whatever it took to do that.
    And if he could relieve some pain in the process, then great!
    That was the extent of my plan.
    This. I think my words in my notes were 'I'm just going to roll with it'. I didn't want to plan too much in case I got disappointed if it didn't/couldn't go the way I planned, as birth can be so unpredictable!
    I did however request delayed cord clamping if poss and skin to skin contact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    None of my birth plans got read. My 2nd and 3rd I arrived fully dilated so I can't complain but number 1 they had plenty of time and didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask why people are declining the hep b, vit k and newborn screening? Just curious...

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My two midwives, dh and I spent 2 hours discussing my birth plan at 36 weeks. It didn't get read otherwise though.

Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post

Agree that birth plans tend to not get read after the fact, but I can assure you if a parent declines hep b or vitamin k it is documented in the notes. In fact if a parent declines Vitamin K then a paed has to counsel the parents on their decision not to give it and document the same in their notes, so it's definitely something that gets handed over from shift to shift. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere but in QLD we can't give Hep B at birth without signed consent on a QLD Government consent form. The same form must be signed if parents decline as well. We don't give anything to healthy/term babies without parents knowledge or consent. It's obviously a different story for prem babies/sick babies etc as sometimes decisions have to be made quickly, but the doctors are very good at talking to the parents as close to the event as possible if they can't talk to them before.
    My midwives recommended it to me, I guess they have a different experience to you. They both have about 20 years experience in hospitals as they haven't always been private midwives. Could also be because the local hospital near where we used to live was dodgy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My plan was just to get the baby out like others have said. I feel like planning something that's completely out of your control can lead to disappointment.

I ended up having an elective CS so that went to plan . I did state though if I was given a GA my sister was to cuddle the baby till I woke up. I didn't even know about the vitamin k/hep shots until after my first was born. I probably shouldn't have skipped those classes!!