+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My list from my last labour and will repeat for the next one.

Leave me alone
    Don't offer pain relief ever.
    Leave me alone
    I will birth in whatever position I want to.
    Leave me alone
    Delayed cord clamping.
    Skin to skin
    Hubby to cut cord
    Yes to hep B and vit K
    No formula nor dummies ever. I actually made a sign and dh stuck it on the hospital bassinet saying "only mummys milk please"
    I want a shower and a hot meal straight after.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 25-03-2015 at 13:01.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had some odd ones - I wanted to keep my glasses on and have my hair tied back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    Not 100 % yet but this is what I have so far:

• Epidural and pethidine is an absolute last resort, I’d like gas and air if I absolutely need it.
    • C/section is a last resort also, I would like to birth naturally if possible.
    • I'd like to try breastfeeding ASAP.
    • If bub is healthy I'd like him/her on my chest quickly before being taken to be cleaned up.
    • We will be delaying cord clamping unless there are any serious health complications that would prevent us from doing so.
    • I've consented to the Hep and Vit K injections at birth.
    • If bub ends up in the nursery or I have complications NO ONE aside from DF is allowed to see bub until I say so.
    • Bub isn't to be taken out of the room without either DF or I accompanying with the exception of a medical emergency.
    • If in nursery: no formula, IV okay, no dummy (unless baby absolutely has to).

I'm just wondering if I've missed out any key points
    Hey Tazz, just thought I'd reassure you on a few points...

- pain relief: most midwives will tell you your pain relief options on arrival and then leave it up to you to decide if and when you want something. They may suggest something like sterile water injections if you have bad back pain due to a posterior baby, but it's not routinely something we do to actually suggest pain relief (unless there are other medical benefits such as an epidural with dangerously high blood pressure).

- natural delivery vs caesarean: this is a given really for anyone who a) hasn't voiced concerns about a vaginal birth during the antenatal period and b) has a straightforward pregnancy and labour. If there are any concerns about you possibly needing a caesarean (ie breech presentation) then you will need to discuss with your care provider of the risks vs benefits of each option.

- breastfeeding ASAP/Skin to skin: it is common practice these days for babies to be delivered directly up onto mums chest for skin to skin. Once the placenta is delivered and you've been cleaned up a bit, the midwives will be more than happy to help you BF. The only time baby will be taken away before coming to you is if there are concerns at delivery such as meconium liquor and shoulder dystocia where the paed needs to check out baby. In saying that, if a mec baby comes out screaming, then the paeds don't usually bother doing their check straight away as baby is clearly breathing. The benefits of skin to skin far outweigh the risks of a paed check on a crying baby!

- delaying cord clamping: definitely something that is done often, so definitely make sure this is known as it is easy to accommodate. Even if you have to have a caesarean for some reason they can still do delayed clamping if you let them know beforehand

- hep b/vitamin k: routine, so no need to specify this in the birth plan if you've already consented.

- Bub in nursery: it's our policy that no one can visit babies without either a parent present or written consent from either parent. Just make sure your DF knows this as he's the one who is going to be "in charge" in this scenario IYKWIM. In regards to the formula/dummy just make sure it is known that you don't want either. We need consent from parents to give either formula or a dummy unless there is a medical reason for giving the formula, which the paediatrician would discuss with you. It's not uncommon to see babies in the SCN with IV rather than formula. However it's not a long term solution, so if baby is going to be in the nursery for awhile then you need to discuss this in depth with the paed.

- Bub in room with you: this is also standard, particularly in hospitals who have the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) certification or who are working towards. One of our paeds doesn't like parents accompanying baby when he's snipping a tongue tie, but that's just because he's cr@p at it and probably doesn't want an audience. If for some reason baby is needed to leave the room, then just go with him. Majority of times we require parents to accompany baby if they leave the room.

All in all I think the points you have listed are all valid. I would also think about things like:

a) do you want active or expectant management for the delivery of the placenta.

b) who do you want in the delivery room with you and what is to happen if parents rock up and want to come in to the room.

Also put thought into whether you're interested in something like calmbirthing/hypnobirthing. You can still follow some of the principles such as having your DF as the spokesperson for you in labour. So all questions are directed at your DF who will convey them to you when you are ready. This also helps with minimising distractions to you in labour.

Good luck!

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (25-03-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (26-03-2015),mkj  (25-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-03-2015),smallpotatoes  (25-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What did you include in your Birth Plan?

I was going to say the same as above. Most is all common practice now. I said nothing and everything was done anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PP mentioned, delivery of the placenta was the only thing I could think of if you wanted to include.

I talked to my midwife about what I wanted for the birth and quickly found out that most of it was standard practice cause I was in the birth centre: no drugs, delayed cord clamping, skin to skin, natural third stage. So my birth plan was mainly what I wanted if I had a caesarean.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Try and keep it to the point and not too long. Also think about what you want for your bub (ie. No articifial feeds etc) and also organise an A4 sheet of paper to stick on the crib if you have any non-standard requests. I will see if I can track down my birth plan to post.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I had a homebirth so this was my hospital birth plan in case we needed to transfer:

Birth Plan
    Name:
    Due Date: 
    Support people: partner/father midwives

Philosophy: Natural, drug-free birth

Labour & Birth

Environment: Quiet, dim lights, music as desired

Active labour:
    free to move as desired
    birth pool & shower
    bean bag/fit ball massage
    Calmbirth as prompted by father
    Photography
    Food & drink offered

Monitoring:
    No foetal monitoring
    No vaginal/cervix examinations

Pain Relief:
    Natural methods only
    Do not offer drugs

Delivery:
    Spontaneous rupture of membranes
    No episiotomy
    Touch baby’s head when crowning
    See with mirror

Immediately after delivery:
    Birth mother & father to ‘catch’ baby,
    place on mother’s chest
    Father to check & announce gender of baby

Umbilical cord:
    Lotus Birth
    Placenta to be kept/remain with mother
    Physiological third stage – no injection
    Baby to remain with parent’s at all times

In the event of a caesarean:

Partner/father and midwife to be present
    Screen lowered at delivery
    Photos
    All other preferences as above (baby immediately placed on mother’s chest, baby to remain with parents at all times, father to announce gender)  

Baby Care
    Permission from parents before any procedure
    Breastfeeding/milk only
    No artificial feeds
    No vitamin K
    No Hepatitis B vaccination
    No Newborn Screening test (heel prick)
    No test for jaundice

(
    Notes:
    I didnt want a lotus birth but was listed to avoid any confusion as to the definition of 'delayed' (did delayed cord clamping)

Same with heel prick test (ds had it).

Kept it to dot points so that it gets read. As short as possible too.

Had an A4 sign of baby care to put on crib in case bub is in nursery (so there is no confusion as to your choices when you are not there - ie. Someone many think bub has 'missed' the hep B shot rather than parents refusing). Birth plans dont get read after the birth. )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am interested in all the ladies who put no formula on their birth plans. When I had my DD1 it seemed the midwives were all generally very pro-breastfeeding/anti-formula. I was not able to breastfeed immediately so they hand expressed me to get colostrum to feed DD with using a syringe. I can't imagine any of them would have given her formula esp without my express permission. Is this something that actually happens??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For those who have used a birth an before, in your experience do the MW/medical team actually read it?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I spoke to my Ob and said my plan was to get my baby out safely and he had my consent to do whatever it took to do that.
    And if he could relieve some pain in the process, then great!
    That was the extent of my plan.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Molros  (27-03-2015),Wise Enough  (26-03-2015)