+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cultural diversity- accepting/abuse etc

At uni we basically got told leave it and accept. (Sudanese, Afghanistan etc). It's not our business. They are different to Australian way if we don't like it then it isn't career for us.

I don't want state what I'm studying. But is this wrong? Shouldn't we be implementing Australian way (softly of course) and reporting? Or am I just thick lol. What happens if that mother and child wanted to leave in abuse circumstances etc hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not exactly clear what you're asking. But if you are witnessing child abuse, in Australia, then it is reportable. Doesn't matter the cultural background, laws are laws and apply to everyone living here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm assuming that you are studying some sort of community services course. It really depends on what you are talking about. If it is domestic violence, then I wouldn't leave it and accept it, I would offer options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I remember what you're studying correctly, then you will see cultural practices which are incredibly different to the 'Australian way' of doing things. I think it's important to recognize the difference between abuse and different cultural values. If it's abuse, then I'm sure there is a process for you to report it (not sure if you have a mandatory reporting kind of thing).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not clear on the question but everyone who lives in Australia has to abide by our laws. Domestic violence and child abuse are illegal no matter what your cultural background is.

If you are working with an individual who is being abused you offer them the same options, information and support (and if necessary make reports) no matter what their cultural background.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (25-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    At uni we basically got told leave it and accept. (Sudanese, Afghanistan etc). It's not our business. They are different to Australian way if we don't like it then it isn't career for us.

I don't want state what I'm studying. But is this wrong? Shouldn't we be implementing Australian way (softly of course) and reporting? Or am I just thick lol. What happens if that mother and child wanted to leave in abuse circumstances etc hope that makes sense
    Further to previous posts about the law being the law, simply accepting abuse and calling it culture isn't actually respecting culture at all, it's pigeonholing it with some kind of archaic lens. Culture changes and is dynamic and even within some of the most patriarchal and misogynistic cultures are movements for change.

To see only the past and not future trends of a culture is to box culture into a static period and its elitist (our culture can modernise and change and include feminist discourse but yours must stay "traditional").

There's your answer for your lecturer.

And with that I will now need some coffee.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-03-2015),CMF  (25-03-2015),NurseAnni  (25-03-2015),Silver flute  (25-03-2015),smallpotatoes  (25-03-2015),TableDancer  (25-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If your studying community services than the law is law and you must apply it.

If your studding anthropology than you can't do anything to effect the community and bloody well sux. I know it's not a subject I could ever do,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you I will write that in my assignment 😝