+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS being hurt at Preschool

For the second week in a row DS has been hurt at preschool by the same child. Last week it was a bruised lip and today his cheek. I'm not too sure about what actually happened today as DS only told me when we got home but he said that he had ice on his cheek and that the child was collected early. So far no incident report or even staff telling me about it. With DS's speech delay it takes a lot to work out a story. Last week I asked the staff about his lip and they didn't know about it but DS was able to tell them who hurt him and it was confirmed by another child. DS said that "aunties" (what they call the staff) saw what happened today and took the child away. The problem is that the child is on the spectrum and has quite high needs so it may not be happening on purpose but I still don't want DS being hurt so how do I handle this while being sensitive to a child with additional needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If the boy who hurt your DS has high needs, wouldn't he have a carer who is assigned to be with him on a fairly one-on-one basis?

My DS has moderate ASD and he's always got his support person with him at preschool. If my DS did that to another child (not likely, it's not in his nature) I imagine his support person would have seen what happened and would be able to report on what happened

I just can't imagine anything like this being not taken seriously at the preschool DS goes to.

I would be bringing it up with whoever is in charge. Things happen, but for no one to address it with you is completely not okay.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    If the boy who hurt your DS has high needs, wouldn't he have a carer who is assigned to be with him on a fairly one-on-one basis?

My DS has moderate ASD and he's always got his support person with him at preschool. If my DS did that to another child (not likely, it's not in his nature) I imagine his support person would have seen what happened and would be able to report on what happened

I just can't imagine anything like this being not taken seriously at the preschool DS goes to.

I would be bringing it up with whoever is in charge. Things happen, but for no one to address it with you is completely not okay.
    Thanks, yes I would assume that he should have support staff. I will be ringing tomorrow to find out what did/didn't happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be concerned that you weren't notified and that an incident report hadn't been done. It shouldn't be up to your DS to tell you these things - the staff should be. Especially given this is not the first incident.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS has never been to daycare so i don't understand any of its rules, but I would be most upset by the fact that obviously they know something happened and haven't told you. In my opinion if anything out of the ordinary were to happen to someones child in their care no matter how small, the mother deserves to know about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has asd but no extra support staff at preschool unfortunately.

Worse I've been the parent with a child who has been striking out and hurting other kids but we are working hard with staff to improve his behaviour and they remove him from any situations if he does start to lose control. So I definitely think you should approach staff with your concerns to ensure your kid is safe and what strategies they have in place, especially as they don't seem to be noticing what's happening. Staff do watch my son carefully knowing he has asd so they can help him modify his behaviour.

Sent from my D5503 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyfiasco For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is being test for high functioning autism and/or Adhd. He's 5 and in prep. Today the teacher called me to say that he poked a boy in the eye. Everyday I repeat the same things "be gentle, be kind" etc.
    He doesn't have a support person because he's still being tested. Once diagnosed he won't get one (or maybe not, depending on level) until next year.
    Maybe this boy has just been tested and won't get support until next year now? Or he's not eligible depending on the level /funding.
    It's so hard. I hate hearing all the hurtful things my boy has done to others.
    I'm sorry this is happening to you. I guess I don't have any real advice except to insist that he is always supervised when near other children, especially the ones he targets.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it can't be easy from the other side and I really appreciate your prospective. I will be speaking to the staff, just hope in time things settle down but in the mean time they need to be more pro-active in protecting the other children by having a staff member with him. This isn't a case of bad behaviour but it does need to be controlled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it just me, or is it really creepy that they call the staff "aunties"??

In relation to being hurt, there needs to be a incident report. You need to make a complaint.

I still can't get over the term "aunties", that's horrible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (25-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Is it just me, or is it really creepy that they call the staff "aunties"??

In relation to being hurt, there needs to be a incident report. You need to make a complaint.

I still can't get over the term "aunties", that's horrible.
    I *think* @WiseOldOwl 's DS goes to an Aboriginal preschool (?) Apologies if I'm wrong.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (25-03-2015)