+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time pregnancy questions

Hi everyone, I'm currently in week 7 ( I think, as I don't have my dating scan until monday) of my first pregnancy and as this is all new to me I have a few questions. Firstly I was wondering whether there are any other defence spouses out there? The reason I ask is that my husband is in the army and we are due to be posted in october however baby isn't due until november (if my calculations are correct) and we have no idea where we are heading to and probably won't get told until much closer to the time, has anyone else been in a similar situation? Secondly when did people start buying stuff for baby like a pram, cot, clothing etc.? Would 7/8 weeks be considered too early? We've started looking at prams etc and I've noticed a lot of places offer 9 mth layby but I'm scared if we start buying stuff now we will jinx things and something will go wrong but my husband did make a good point when he said we don't want to leave it too late and have to shell out loads of money in one go for everything. Thank you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats. We are ttc #1 so not much help for most of your qs. But as far as the $ go, I have started a baby account so we can buy those things closer to the date without it feeling so exxy. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amethyst85 View Post
    Congrats. We are ttc #1 so not much help for most of your qs. But as far as the $ go, I have started a baby account so we can buy those things closer to the date without it feeling so exxy. Good luck!
    Thanks, that's a good idea :-) I'm also hoping on getting lots of hand me downs as I have 3 sister in laws with 12 kids between them :-D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Congratulations!!

I can give you some advice in regards to moving...

I've looked after plenty of women who have moved cities during their pregnancy - its tough, but do-able.

Best thing to do is book into your local public hospital and have your antenatal care through them. As soon as you find out where your new posting is, call the antenatal clinic at the hospital there and make an appointment. When you book in you'll be given a handheld pregnancy record that you carry. You just take that to your new hospital and they can arrange for all of your information to be sent to them.
    Thanks :-) Baby may be born here, things can always change where the army is concerned. At this stage there is a possibility of a move to Brisbane which would be good as that's where my husband's family is from so we'd have help close by and we know our way around :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! I am a defence spouse, and currently serving myself. I am 22w preg. I started buying things after the 12 week mark and pretty much have all the essentials done...however my DF is deployed at the moment so its really been to keep me occupied! I dont think having everything so early is necessary.

We are due in July and Df gets home in June...oh the life of a defence spouse

Im not entirely sure how the Army works, but if he is due for posting he should get some notice in advance. Maybe ask him to start chasing it up with his career manager now so you have an idea of whats going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Hi! I am a defence spouse, and currently serving myself. I am 22w preg. I started buying things after the 12 week mark and pretty much have all the essentials done...however my DF is deployed at the moment so its really been to keep me occupied! I dont think having everything so early is necessary.

We are due in July and Df gets home in June...oh the life of a defence spouse

Im not entirely sure how the Army works, but if he is due for posting he should get some notice in advance. Maybe ask him to start chasing it up with his career manager now so you have an idea of whats going on.
    Yep definitely, the joys of being a defence spouse :-) We're pretty new to the whole army life anyway, husband has been in just over a year and he's still in training so the october posting will be our first proper posting. I've told him he needs to tell them that we need a decent amount of warning before the posting but he's not keen on telling his superiors about the pregnancy yet as it's still so early on, at this stage I don't even know if he'll get time off on monday to come to the first scan as he'll technically be "out field" although they are in reality just staying in one of the sheds on base.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi ArmyWag84, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

If you have a look here we have a whole section dedicated to Parents/Spouses in Defence which you may want to have a look at.

I have had 3 out of 4 of my babies in different states and Hospitals, therefore my best advice would be to book into the Hospital you are intending to be at and if and when you get a posting, as Meredith Grey said, you can just take your pregnancy record book with you and/or any related info to the next Hospital. All the best!