+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wouldn't bother me in the slightest but then again I don't believe in ghosts and afterlives etc. To me the house is a house, nothing more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They can but the solicitor is the one that told them it's not a requirement by law to include it in the contract and they advise against it , legally all we are supposed to do is verbally say it but as these cases are so rare everyone is a bit clueless plus I know the solicitor ( and us for that matter) don't want to bring it up too much or make a big deal about it with the owners as it's obviously a very sensitive subject - I'm assuming because it happened 20 years ago and it not high profile the solicitors don't think it's a big deal - it will go on the market in the next 6 weeks so we have time to develop a procedure , I might talk to the solicitor again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No i wouldn't. Too depressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here's a little spiel on 'Homes with history' and disclosure etc that I thought was interesting.

Here

An agent’s responsibility

So what constitutes a traumatic event in a home’s history changes depending on who you speak to and varies in importance over time, opening a can of worms for agents, vendors and buyers alike.
    While agents around the country have ethical responsibilities under their codes of conduct, the laws surrounding these issues vary from state to state. As Tim explains:
    “All jurisdictions around Australia have legislation governing real estate agents in practice but unfortunately none of them is uniform. They have commonality in cover but they don’t bear any resemblance to each other in structure, that’s a problem,” says Tim.
    Tim says the obligation to reveal a home’s history in NSW currently rests with the agent alone. “The tribunal has said the agent needs to disclose it, but the vendor doesn’t. But if they make those disclosures without the authority or consent of the vendor they could be in a difficult position where they are captured under different legislation for not acting in the best interests of the vendor.”
    The REINSW has tried to incorporate these obligations on the agent into their agency agreements, which require the vendor to provide the agent with the information and to consent to that information being provided to the purchasers.
    While a crime scene can turn a buyer off, there’s also an element of public curiosity
    “We need some consistency, clarity, and certainty. If we are truly interested in consumer protection then obligating the vendor along with the agent seems logical, and consistent.”
    Tim also suggests that the disclosure could instead be captured in the contract for sale of land, in much the same way a prospective buyer has their conveyancer or lawyer make enquiries about mortgages or easements to ensure the land isn’t encumbered.
    “As of April there is going to be an additional document required for swimming pools, to say that the swimming pool is compliant, we think you should also include in a contract for sale of land the material facts attached to the property,” Tim says.
    Voyeurs

As much as a crime scene can turn a buyer off, there’s also an element of public curiosity, a strange voyeurism, over these types of properties. In fact realestate.com.au’s sister website Squarefoot.hk in Hong Kong has an entire section of ‘haunted houses’ because they hold such strong cultural fascination (and the prospect of a bargain!)
    Read more: The most haunted houses in Australia

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We get names, phone and address and lately we've been getting 40 plus buyers at every open house so I have a person at the front taking details before they go in , I just don't want to "discuss" it with everyone there if that makes sense as they may not be interested ? The locals and neighbours would all know so I fear they will all turn up to look and gossip
    Could you speak to the REINSW (if that's your version of the REISA in SA and see what they advise so you've covered all your bases. Because at the end of the day if a buyer will complain or try and get a 'discount' after the auction at least they will have record that you spoke to them and you've done what they've asked you to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I think you'll probably have to verbally mention it at the open home to people who seem interested but just say you can't say anything further than "a murder took place at this premises, we are unable to discuss details any further due to privacy regulations". Then include it in writing when you email the contracts out so you're protecting yourself "as mentioned at the open home..."

It's such a tricky one but I think you probably just have to treat it as matter-of-fact as possible and just accept that you'll probably have busy-bodies and gossips hanging around. I suspect the auction will be packed with them!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really believe in anything Supernatural so that wouldn't bother me. If it were a really sick/torture horrible type murder then it might creep me out a bit just knowing what had happened, but if i loved the house and it was a good price i'd still buy it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

KiWolf  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually lived in a rental house once where many years before a man had been on home detention for years for driving a car that hit and killed some kids on a pedestrian crossing.

I didn't know till well after id moved in but it always played on my mind, the insurmountable guilt that driver must have lived with for the rest of his days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's coming on the market in 2 weeks - we just said to the solicitor the only way to protect us and the owner and to make sure all interested buyers are aware of it is to put a clause in the contract so all buyers ( and their solicitors) can see it has been disclosed in writing - they said they will so I'll check it when we get it

The more I go to the house the less I actually think about what happened there as it really is a great home but it will be interesting to see if it affects the buyers or the price!

That unit in sydney ( where she was thrown off the balcony) didn't sell at its auction last week, they only had 1 registered bidder

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if she was Canadian? I think she was a ballerina? He got life , they thought the unit would easily sell over 2mil but obviously the buyers were turned off