+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you hand out fliers at the time of auction, or tell people that they need to come and sign a disclaimer before the auction begins acknowledging that they have been told about it?
    My concern with verbal advice would be that someone may use it as a loophole down the track.. And then it is your word against theirs, even if you did the right thing. If all bidders at the auction sign a disclaimer that they have been advised, I don't see that it could ever come back to "haunt" (see what I did there) you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinky Doo View Post
    Could you hand out fliers at the time of auction, or tell people that they need to come and sign a disclaimer before the auction begins acknowledging that they have been told about it?
    My concern with verbal advice would be that someone may use it as a loophole down the track.. And then it is your word against theirs, even if you did the right thing. If all bidders at the auction sign a disclaimer that they have been advised, I don't see that it could ever come back to "haunt" (see what I did there) you.
    I'm worried about this too - it's annoying as it would be so much easier if the solicitors would put a clause in the contract with the disclaimer but no , the solicitors don't want to get involved as its not in their act so they are saying it's not their problem

Whenever some one is interested in a home they request a copy of the contract so I'm thinking if they do I'll send it by email and put the disclaimer in the email so there is proof of notification

My other worry is at the open house ( even without a advertised time) when you get a group of people through I don't want it to become a "gossip" type thing so everyone is talking about it? Again it's tricky as I'm legally not allowed to discuss private info about the owners but legally have to disclose the crime!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I'm going off a newspaper article but there is an apartment for sale in Sydney atm where a murder took place (off the balcony) and the article states that the contract has a point on this.
    Not sure where you are but that real estate agent got it put in the contract - it must be possible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Would you buy a house if you found out someone

If their solicitor agrees yes, the owners solicitor won't agree as they are saying its not their responsibility !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put a sign up *this is the very spot the previous owner was murdered*

Do you do one of those register things of people who come to look at your open homes (like the guest book type things)? Perhaps when you get people to sign that you could have a disclaimer there? Youd think it'd really only be the people who are legitimately interested that would fill it out, and that way not every person will find out or gossip about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't. The fact someone fought for their life violently (as opposed to dying peacefully) would freak me out too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's so annoying! Maybe a coverpage attached to the contract?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We get names, phone and address and lately we've been getting 40 plus buyers at every open house so I have a person at the front taking details before they go in , I just don't want to "discuss" it with everyone there if that makes sense as they may not be interested ? The locals and neighbours would all know so I fear they will all turn up to look and gossip

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    That's so annoying! Maybe a coverpage attached to the contract?
    Would love too but we are legally not allowed to alter the contract ( which means attaching anything) without permission from the solicitor!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe tell the owners that the contract can fall through if you don't have evidence of disclosure and the best way to prevent that is to have it in the contract - they can tell their solicitors to include a clause?