+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Eek no way i could buy a house with that history.
    I agree with mentioning it in the ads could attract people just wanting a stickybeak. Perhaps advertise an open home but not list a time or say open at 10am but please call to register beforehand and inform people then. Saves people a wasted trip but doesnt advertise it. I like the way other people have suggested wording it quite formally, 'I have to disclose due to legislation xyz some history regarding the property etc'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If the house is priced lower than similar properties, people will instinctively wonder and ask 'what's wrong with it?'
    If you publicly disclosed there was an issue, i reckon you would definitely have a lot of curiosity seekers and time wasters. So i think disclosing what happened to individuals as they show an interest is probably the best way to tackle that issue.

As for whether i would wish to live in such a house, definitely not! It's probably a bit silly as i've lived in numerous rental properties where anything could have happened and i would have had no idea. Although, I guess that's the difference- i have no idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The house will be auctioned so no price guide , we will just have to be guided by the buyers, I've truly no idea how much of an impact it will have on the price , the owners want as much as they can get but have to take the highest price on the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I wouldnt buy it or even consider it. I could probably if it was a natural cause of death (heart attack or something) but any violent crime, no way. I'd just feel like the house would have a bad vibe or something and it would make me uneasy. Some friends of ours had a suicide in a house they bought during the settlement period and were able to back out of the contract and get their deposit back.

Could you not advertise the open inspection publicly and instead say "contact us for inspection times" then you could disclose the information over the phone when people inquire about the house and inspection times. I would be pretty annoyed too if we were house hunting and went to look at a place or were in the stages of wanting to place an offer on it before we got told something big like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got the tenant so I can't go there any time - she was really nice when I met her and said she would be open to allowing an open house every Saturday which is great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I've got the tenant so I can't go there any time - she was really nice when I met her and said she would be open to allowing an open house every Saturday which is great
    I meant though to make prearranged inspections with the tenant, just don't advertise them publicly online or anything. This forces people to contact you for inspection times and you can disclose the info when they call you for information. You don't need to arrange private viewings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The house will be auctioned so no price guide , we will just have to be guided by the buyers, I've truly no idea how much of an impact it will have on the price , the owners want as much as they can get but have to take the highest price on the day
    I guess that makes it a bit tricky. Have you got any friends/contacts in the industry that have sold a house under such circumstances?

For an auction, prospective buyers have to register before bidding? Is it possible to disclose at that point? Or am I way off the mark?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I guess that makes it a bit tricky. Have you got any friends/contacts in the industry that have sold a house under such circumstances?

For an auction, prospective buyers have to register before bidding? Is it possible to disclose at that point? Or am I way off the mark?
    No - I've had some that have had suicides but not murder ( thankfully it's not that common!)
    fair trading actually suggested disclosing on auction registration ( they were actually quite useless for info as they have had no experience either and the act is so vague!) but I think it's too late by then as they may have spent money on searches and solicitors so that's why I'm thinking if they show interest after the first inspection so before they get too invested but it gets them in to view the home objectively first?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't even consider looking at a house if it had a nasty history. A natural death ok but ( assuming from your posts) a death resulting from a violent act no way.
    I would also be frustrated with the agent if I inspected a property, fell in love then to be disclosed the history.
    I wouldn't consider no matter how fantastic or in love I was.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

misho  (24-03-2015)