+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flying with a baby

I'm flying alone on a 2 hour flight in a few days with my 6mo. Does anyone have any tips to make things a bit easier for us? I'm going to carry him in my ergo and feed on the way up and down, but any other tips or ideas to help make this a little less scary would be great. I also may need to take a half hour train trip at the other end (also alone!) so any tips very welcome.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Any fav books ? Toys like rattles , toy keys. Etc good if he's on solids

Good luck and have a great trip

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feed on take off and landing to help little ears adjust. The ergo is a great idea, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it! Keys make a great toy - enough noise to keep them entertained but not loud enough to annoy other people!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on who your flying with , they may let you board first so you have time to get settled before the rest of the passengers . I'd also ask for an aisle seat so you can get in and out easily ..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call ahead and ask the airline to put in a request for a bassinet row seat, then ask again at check-in. There is heaps more room in this row. Also ask for an aisle seat, as you'll probably need to head to the toilet a couple of times for nappy changes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad flew with DS from Sydney to Qld when he was 6 months. He took lots of toys, custard in te squeeze packets (DS loved them) he actually put a movie on the iPad - this amused him for 5 or so minutes at a time. He flew with Jetstar and the hostess' were great. They took DS for a walk when he started getting grumpy to go and talk to all the other ladies (bit of a ladies man) he made sure he had an aisle seat so he had more leg room to stretch out (he's tall) and just moved when he needed too. But the people next to him were great, if DS threw his toys they picked them up.
    Good luck! I'm sure it will be fine 😊

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've flown loads of times with my DS, I think we worked out he's taken about 16 flights already and he's only 16 months old! I def find the nerves and worry are far worse than the reality and the experience much less traumatic than imagined! I've found short flights when baby is up to about a year are usually fine as they often will sleep with the movement of the plane so at 6 months you'll hopefully get bub to sleep a bit and then just find things to amuse them like cardboard cups, flight card etc.

We moved to sydney from London 3 months ago and I was literally terrified of the 24 hour journey but my ds was an absolute star and so well behaved. I think you will be absolutely fine and as people say do ask for help especially if you need bags collecting when you're carrying bub in ergo. I'm a bit proud and tend to try and manage but people don't mind and most will offer when they see you on your own. Good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (23-03-2015)

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you @Pearlygirl for starting this thread! We're flying with 6 month old DS on Wednesday for an hour flight.

We're planning on making a bottle just before we board and hope that he drinks on take off and landing.

We will take his favourite book and his Sophie and another toy on the flight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has been in more detail planes than buses

Its definitely worse thinking about it than in action. Make sure you pull out essentials and put within reaching distance - we once hit turbulence and I couldn't get up to get to my baby bag - now it all goes with reach; especially wipes.

Do ask for assistance for nappy changes - there isn't much room in there and and an extra pair of hands is invaluable.

We use a length of elastic around toys (like a lead) for easy retrieval if thrown - fish them back up; both my kids ended up playing this game for ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DD is 19 months and just clocked up her 20th flight. 6 months old is much easier than 18 months.

With the ergo, just remember that you can't use it on the flight when the seat belt sign is on. You have to use the baby attachment to your seatbelt. The ergo is great though for getting on and off the plane with all your stuff.

I try to keep most of my stuff at my feet rather than in the overhead locker. This doesn't worry me as I'm short so I don't notice the lack of leg room.

Someone else mentioned the bassinet row - most domestic flights won't have this, it is usually only on the larger international flights.

If they don't offer, ask for a pillow. It makes feeding and holding for that long much more comfortable.

Good luck - we are about to take our first international flight, so I will see how that goes.