+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 year old DS still in nappies at night

DS is 4yo (turned 4 in Dec) and we cant seem to get him out of nappies at night.
    He has been day trained for about 2 years but he shows no signs of being ready for no nappies at night.

ATM he is wearing pullups at night. We have tried 4/5 times in the last year or so to get him dry at night but its not working.

We have tried...
    No drinks after 5pm and no water bottle at night but he wakes up wanting water at night then wets his bed.

Getting him up before we go to bed and putting him on the toilet but he is so sleepy he cant do it.

Last night we tried again and he was saturated at 9.30pm when i went to get him up for the toilet. he was saturated and STILL asleep. His full bladder is just not waking him up.

His pull up is usually full in the morning, probably only once or twice in the last year has it been dry.

Hes just in such a deep sleep that he doesnt wake up, even if hes covered in wee. Its horrible going in there only a couple of hours after hes gone to bed to find him saturated and still asleep. It cant be nice for him.

He still sometimes wets his pants during the day but has gotten so much better since starting kindy. It used to be most days, several times a day but now its only a couple of times a month...usually when hes playing, He forgets.

Is this normal for boys? My DD was dry at night at 3yo. Could there be something wrong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4 year old DS still in nappies at night

Completely normal not to be dry until 7!
    My son is slightly older and still in nappies overnight.
    You can not teach them to be dry over night, something just has to click.
    Also restricting drinks isn't a great idea. They need to learn to wake to a full bladder.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (24-03-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (23-03-2015),Wise Enough  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, my DD was day trained at 2 but didn't stop wearing a pull up overnight until she was 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely normal, for boys and girls. The brain needs to develop the ability to restrict bladder flow during deep sleep, and that isn't something you can teach...it happens when it happens.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do not agree that it's normal for a child of 7 to still be wetting the bed. While some do many don't and shouldn't really by the time they are 5.
    Op if your 4yr old is also wetting his pants during the day I would take him to the dr who will check for health conditions and go from there. There is an alarm you can buy which wakes your child up when he starts to wet himself at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its normal. I wouldn't restrict drinks or try anything to be honest.

Just let him do it in his own time.

My DD had been day trained for over 2 years before she was dry at night. We stopped the night pull ups after a few nights of dryness and she's been dry ever since.
    Last edited by yadot; 23-03-2015 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think it's completely normal. My 3 youngest were night TT from 2-3 years however my eldest is 8 and will still wet some nights.
    Have you tried to take him out of pull ups? We kept telling DD1 if she wakes dry we'll let her wear undies but it never happened. One night I had no pull ups left and of course she doesn't wet the bed. Turned out she was just used to the pull ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dd (4) has been dry since she was 2, but still wet at night. I spoke to the Dr today at her 4 year old check up and she said it is absolutely normal and it is actually hormonal based. Until these hormones kick in they don't know to wake themselves when they need to go. I would give it another year or 2 before getting concerned....

Thanks
    Reviews
    The royal children's hospital say not to be concerned or seek any treatment until 6 years and over.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I do not agree that it's normal for a child of 7 to still be wetting the bed. While some do many don't and shouldn't really by the time they are 5.
    Op if your 4yr old is also wetting his pants during the day I would take him to the dr who will check for health conditions and go from there. There is an alarm you can buy which wakes your child up when he starts to wet himself at night.
    My SIL works with incontinence and professionals do not recommend treatment until 7.
    A health check up couldn't hurt to rule anything out but it really is quite common not to night time train until 7.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (24-03-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (23-03-2015),Wise Enough  (23-03-2015)