+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Most common folk have insufficient background knowledge and skills which would enable them to appropriately analyse information and effectively question the recommendations of people with 6+ years medical training... Most of the time they would just be embarassing themselves.

Be educated yes... Question the recommendations of qualified medical professionals: good luck with that Mr and Mrs Smith!
    On an aside. I work in the health industry and trust me when I say there are many doctors out there who are NOT practicing the best medicine. I've reported 3 in 3wks to the AMA.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    @monnie24 in my opinion it is ignorant NOT to question medical science and gov't recommendations, they don't always get things right! But each to their own, I prefer a natural approach for the most part but I will still be getting the vaccine
    I agree. Make an informed decision. I've been told a few whoppers by various medical professionals.

The only vaccine not safe to get whilst pregnant is the MMR one as it incorporates a live but attenuated virus. The others all use dead/inactive pathogens.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-03-2015),Fi Poledancer  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB has advised that she doesn't trust that the vaccination is 100% safe for pregnant women, she feels that all the studies have been done overseas and all vaccines in each country are not the same.

She advises the vaccination to be done 2 days after birth, which is what I will do (I had a booster 4/5 years ago but want to be safe).

Also, if you get the vaccination during pregnancy your baby will need an extra booster at 18 months.

I trust my OB so going to stick with what she says - that's what I'm paying her for!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

honey gold  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you saying the baby is going to have the vaccination after 2 days or you are? That is why they are giving it in pregnancy, because the vaccine will cover both the mother and baby, usually babies have no coverage at all until their 8 week shots.

They still need boosters, regardless of if you have it in pregnancy or not, if you don't get it when pregnant your baby will need it at 2, 4, 6 months, then 4 years, then 10 years and every 4-9 years after that. Not sure why your Ob told you they would need one booster at 18 months??

Interesting that your Ob said that, yes, it is true that we don't use the same vaccine as the UK (manufacturer is different) but we do use the same as the US and there have been plenty of studies done on those given in pregnancy as well.

I'm kinda on the fence here in regards to Fi and VP - I think there is a happy medium, doctors aren't always right, they make mistakes all the time too - they are human - it's ok to question, but you need to make sure you are getting your information from reliable sources etc.

I would jump at the chance to be vaccinated when pregnant - when I had my first baby, a father came to visit his newborn and brought whooping cough with him, the whole ward was shut down and quarantined, signs every where etc. I was lucky to be on a different ward at the time. But way too close for comfort. When I had the twins, the midwife told me that one of the women who'd just had a c/section had whooping cough and was quarantined. I have had whooping cough has adult - it was the scariest thing, I really thought I would die at points. So yeah - I wouldn't hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    My OB has advised that she doesn't trust that the vaccination is 100% safe for pregnant women, she feels that all the studies have been done overseas and all vaccines in each country are not the same.

She advises the vaccination to be done 2 days after birth, which is what I will do (I had a booster 4/5 years ago but want to be safe).

Also, if you get the vaccination during pregnancy your baby will need an extra booster at 18 months.

I trust my OB so going to stick with what she says - that's what I'm paying her for!
    Last edited by beebs; 26-03-2015 at 07:36.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (27-03-2015),wobbleyhorse  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After seeing a baby just die from this again it really ****es me off. These are preventable diseases. This lady was a friend of a lady in my DIG. My heart breaks for them.

Yes you can research. Do you research all your children's vaccinations.

I guess what I'm saying is the more you research is the more you find wrong in things. It wasn't recommended when I was pregnant or I would of had it done. I had it after pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    After seeing a baby just die from this again it really ****es me off. These are preventable diseases. This lady was a friend of a lady in my DIG. My heart breaks for them.

Yes you can research. Do you research all your children's vaccinations.

I guess what I'm saying is the more you research is the more you find wrong in things. It wasn't recommended when I was pregnant or I would of had it done. I had it after pregnancy.
    I disagree with you, I have spent many long hours, days researching vaccines - and it has shown me that they are even safer and more effective than I first thought😊

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (26-03-2015),KitiK  (27-03-2015),MermaidMama  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post

Actually the latest research is being done by Sydney University and they are finding the same things as overseas studies, that third trimester vaxx provides some immunity to the baby and so far no known side effects. My ob yesterday said I can have it anytime after 26 weeks.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to honey gold For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-03-2015),KitiK  (27-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Are you saying the baby is going to have the vaccination after 2 days or you are? That is why they are giving it in pregnancy, because the vaccine will cover both the mother and baby, usually babies have no coverage at all until their 8 week shots.

They still need boosters, regardless of if you have it in pregnancy or not, if you don't get it when pregnant your baby will need it at 2, 4, 6 months, then 4 years, then 10 years and every 4-9 years after that. Not sure why your Ob told you they would need one booster at 18 months??
    I think maybe the 18 month booster thing is a bit of a miscommunication (maybe?). When I went to see my GP about getting the WC vax while pregnant she said that there was some evidence that getting the vax while pregnant may have a 'blunting' effect on future WC vax's for the baby, so they would need an extra shot. She explained that while the immunity would be passed to bub in utero that it wouldn't be as effective as bub getting the vax themselves at 6-8 weeks (even though it would give them some proctection in those first weeks), and that it may make the 6 week, 4 month & 6 month vax's less effective (the 'blunting' effect). And that's why they need the extra booster at 18 months.

So she told me to think about it and make a decision & come back. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look into it as DS arrived a couple of days later! I'd be interested to know if anyone else has been told this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Havent been told that by the gp that vaccinated me. It wasnt my usual gp as I was wanting to do it that day so I wentnto whoever could fit me. But will ask my gp about it when bub is to have 6w vaccines..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

Interesting that your Ob said that, yes, it is true that we don't use the same vaccine as the UK (manufacturer is different) but we do use the same as the US and there have been plenty of studies done on those given in pregnancy as well.

I'm kinda on the fence here in regards to Fi and VP - I think there is a happy medium, doctors aren't always right, they make mistakes all the time too - they are human - it's ok to question, but you need to make sure you are getting your information from reliable sources etc.

I would jump at the chance to be vaccinated when pregnant - when I had my first baby, a father came to visit his newborn and brought whooping cough with him, the whole ward was shut down and quarantined, signs every where etc. I was lucky to be on a different ward at the time. But way too close for comfort. When I had the twins, the midwife told me that one of the women who'd just had a c/section had whooping cough and was quarantined. I have had whooping cough has adult - it was the scariest thing, I really thought I would die at points. So yeah - I wouldn't hesitate.
    I will get the vaccination 2 days after birth, the baby will stay on the recommended schedule.
    Some anti bodies are still passed through to the baby through breast milk when getting the vacc a few days after birth.

I did receive my last booster 3 years ago though.

I trust my OB so going to stick with what she says.

I will definitely vaccinate my child and ensure my DH and other family who want to see the baby get their vaccinations. If they don't, they won't be seeing the baby.