+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Any one that has it third trimester just needs to remember to request an extra dtp vax for bub at 18 months.
    It's not on the schedule at 18 months anymore but the only 'side effect' of vaccination in the third trimester is that the bub needs an extra booster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Any one that has it third trimester just needs to remember to request an extra dtp vax for bub at 18 months.
    It's not on the schedule at 18 months anymore but the only 'side effect' of vaccination in the third trimester is that the bub needs an extra booster.
    The effect of high maternal antibodies I assume?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So although I have had it 2 years ago when DS was born, and they are only due every 10 years could I still get it again with this baby? Or doesn't have to be only if you are due?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Subbing. I'm keen to get it done but worried about any side effects.
    I had no side effects, other than sore spot on the arm for a few days, and bub is now a healthy 6.5-month old.

With all these cases of whooping cough popping up I think it's a really good idea to get it in the third trimester.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (24-03-2015),Ngaiz  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there absolutely NO risk to the unborn baby from it? I want it but I'd never forgive myself if he got sick from my vaccination

Thanks
    Reviews

Default whooping cough vaccination while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    Is there absolutely NO risk to the unborn baby from it? I want it but I'd never forgive myself if he got sick from my vaccination
    You can never say there is absolutely 'no risk' when giving a medication however the risk of contracting and becoming ill from whooping cough as an infant is far greater then the risk of there being an adverse reaction to the vaccine.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (25-03-2015),ScubaGal  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a wealth of info on pertussis vaccination see the immunisation schedule here http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/handbook10-4-12 it discusses towards the end benefits of third trimester boosters.
    I have asked parents and brothers to get their boosters and currently considering a carefully worded email to other family/friends respectfully telling them not to visit if they do not wish to have a booster. I know it can be awkward asking this of others but I read something on this last week along the lines of 'you'll get over feeling uncomfortable making this request, other people will get over you making this request, but you'll never get over it if your baby died of whooping cough'. Too true.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (25-03-2015),ScubaGal  (24-03-2015),Sirena89  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree. My parents, who initially refused, have booked for a booster tommorrow. I told them they wont be seeing bub until after bub s vaccines if they wish not to do it and I think that made them reconsider their initial decision. As people call or txt asking if they can visit, once bub is born, I ll politelty decline visits from those sick and not immunised. I m not bothered if I insult anyone as I myself wouldnt be insulted if someone asked me to have a booster before visiting their bub.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirena89 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (25-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    My brother in law went to his GP for the vaccine, explaining he was about to become an uncle and the GP told him he didn't need to worry about it and not to bother getting the vaccine!

😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Whaaaaaaaaat!