+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default whooping cough vaccination while pregnant

Would you get vaccinated against whooping cough while pregnant.? All the info on the internet are reccomending it and claim its safe for baby.
    I have asked all our immediate family to vaccinate and my parents are refusing at this stage which is upsetting me but they have a right to it. However I warned that they wont be near bub fir first 6 weeks. What about all the other friends whi want to hold your bub? Do you ask if they ve been vacxinated and refuse to hand your bub to them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had it at about 32wks.
    It's the new recommendations for pregnant women whose last shot would be more than 5yrs ago at EDD.
    Studies show it give the baby at birth the antibody level of a fully vaccinated one year old.
    I did it to ensure my baby's health and not rely on other people to get vaccinated.
    Even if you get friends/family to vaccinate, what about random people at the shops?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Sirena89  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had it at around 34 weeks and DH had it as well. My parents and sisters had already been vaccinated. As I had a c-section I laid pretty low for the first six weeks and requested no visitors other than family.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Sirena89  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I see all this news about whooping cough and the importance of being vaccinated and yet, I've just had a baby and it wasn't offered to me or my partner once.
    I also only found out about them recommending a booster through my own research.
    Why aren't they on this?

Op , had I known or had been reminded of the vaccination in pregnancy I would have got it and I would have made DH get it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Sirena89  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I m off to do it in an hour as I m 37+3 and it takes two weeks for your immunity to peak and for bub to get protection from it. Hopefully this one bakes for another two weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just got mine (at 35w pg). My last booster was 2 yrs ago AFTER dd2 was born. I have - in no uncertain terms told my family and friends that they are not welcome to visit until after baby has his 1st vax if they are choosing not to have a booster. Idk what they think. My baby, I am reaponsible for thier life. I wont be doing a lot outside the home (DH will shop etc for the first 6 weeks). I am also having a c section so will be fobbing people off for 6 weeks anyhow

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (23-03-2015),Sirena89  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any side effects from the vaccination?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine at 30+ weeks. No side effects other than a bandaid on my arm.
    I had all our family done - but alot also had been done already from previous Bubs in the fam.
    We explained why we felt it was important and they understood and respected that.
    We didn't chase them up to check they got it done. But most did tell us they were protected

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Sirena89  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default whooping cough vaccination while pregnant

Yes - I'm hoping to get mine done in the next few weeks as the WA govt is implementing a program to vaccinate pregnant women in the third trimester.

This came after the death of a 4 week old baby in Perth last week from whooping cough.

The side effects I have read about are similar to any vaccination - possible localised reaction, muscle soreness etc.

Well worth it in my opinion.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Sirena89  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I didn't hear about it until I was Sitting in the hospital bed after having dd2 6 weeks early and a nurse asked dp and I if we wanted the free vaccination. Of course we did. We had it done. Unfortunately I came down with a bad cold a few days later and was not allowed in to see dd2 for over a week. I still wonder if that injection was the cause of my cold.
    I don't for a minute suggest not getting it. In fact if we had known we had the option of getting it earlier and known dd2 would come early then we would most likely have gotten them earlier and hopefully saved myself a sickness that prevented me from seeing dd2 and that was partly the cause of a few bonding issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Sirena89  (23-03-2015)