+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how to get my 8 month old sleeping better?!

Hello everyone, how are we all?

So my 8 month old ds doesn't sleep very well, he goes to bed at half past 8 every night but is awake from 6am every morning. He also wakes multiple times a night for boob still, does anyone have any ideas on how to get him sleeping a bit better or even just staying in his own bed, as he will scream all night if hes in his own cot and not in my bed. Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luanajo For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any useful tips woukd be a huge help thanks ladies x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    How does he go to sleep? If he goes to sleep with you there he might be expecting you there when he wakes up. What are his day sleeps like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the late reply, had my daily dutys to run
    At night he has his dinner (solids),bath, a bit of a play then boob and I usually put him in his cot while hes awake (depending if he falls asleep on boob) to show him that that is his bed and he sometimes will have a little whine but will self soothe (unless teething gets in the way).

During the day he has between 2-3 naps. One in the morning around half past 8 until half past 10 sometimes will have one after lunch at around 1pm for half an hour and then hos afternoon nap around half past 3 until 4:30-5 pm
    I totally get that theres alot going on with teething but all this broken sleep is draining *and even if nothing works its worth a try right?*
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default how to get my 8 month old sleeping better?!

Unless there are medical issues my guess is either hunger, cold or habit. Need a few extra snippets though before I can advise further...

What is bubs solids intake like? 3 full meals (1/3 protein for lunch and dinner) and morning and afternoon tea?

How much time between the night boob and bed? 20 mind active play is recommended so that bub doesn't form a reliance on the boob to sleep.

Does bub have a comforter? It is recommended to use them for every sleep and only at sleep time.

By 8 months most bubs have given up the third catnap... Could you try skipping this and putting bub to bed at 6:30pm or 7pm? - the half hours sleep at 1pm suggests bub is tired enough to nap but not tired enough to sleep. Perhaps by pushing this back half an hour or so bub will sleep longer..

How does bub fall asleep? Any patting/rocking/music etc?

What is the temp in bubs room at bedtime and when bub wakes overnight? What bedding is bub in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Unless there are medical issues my guess is either hunger, cold or habit. Need a few extra snippets though before I can advise further...

What is bubs solids intake like? 3 full meals (1/3 protein for lunch and dinner) and morning and afternoon tea?

How much time between the night boob and bed? 20 mind active play is recommended so that bub doesn't form a reliance on the boob to sleep.

Does bub have a comforter? It is recommended to use them for every sleep and only at sleep time.

By 8 months most bubs have given up the third catnap... Could you try skipping this and putting bub to bed at 6:30pm or 7pm? - the half hours sleep at 1pm suggests bub is tired enough to nap but not tired enough to sleep. Perhaps by pushing this back half an hour or so bub will sleep longer..

How does bub fall asleep? Any patting/rocking/music etc?

What is the temp in bubs room at bedtime and when bub wakes overnight? What bedding is bub in?

I agree with vic park, might be that his day naps need adjusting? Most 8 mo are in 2 naps per day, especially if he is having longer ones. Maybe try reading a story or doing something between BF and bed so that he is going into his cot completely awake and self settling without associating feeding.