+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toddler whinges at night

DD is 2.5 and she whinges in the mid of the night almost every night for as long as I can remember! It varies from little 10 min whines to an hour meltdowns where she would scream the house down. I just had to deal with a meltdown.
    I just can't figure out what's wrong with her. Regardless if she had a day sleep or not, sleep early or late, had dinner or no dinner, had sugary food or not, she never seems to have a good night sleep.
    It's getting difficult for me now because we have a newborn and waking up every 2 hours plus dealing with her screams and her waking up everyone plus my 4 year old is just too much now.
    Any tips?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, I am in the same boat :/ a 2yrs old night waking and about to have a newborn! Argh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son has been waking up the last few nights. But he asks fir milk again....quiet annoying.

Could they be having a bad dream? Do they sleep with a toy? Or a blanket? (My son doesn't)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

tubster  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps get her checked by gp? That sounds tough for you, I hope you get it sorted. Just a thought, did the meltdowns start when or just before 2nd baby came along? My DD was 2 when I had ds and for about 3 months she woke during the night asking for random things and getting upset if I wouldn't give it. I think it was the stress of a new baby. I gave her special attention during the day when i could and it calmed down eventually

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

tubster  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hate to say this, but most of the mums in my Playgroup with a two or three year old have this issue, often because they start to get nervous in the night or wake from bad dreams. It's especially tricky with a baby, though, I feel your pain as I am in the same boat. Suggestions I've heard range from getting a nightlight, co sleeping (tricky with a bub) or letting them sleep on a mattress on your floor if they wake in the night (you get a lot more sleep that way, though you may have to tackle the night time appearances later down the track). I have chosen the last option and it's been great through the newborn stage just to survive. Ready to change this soon though!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daylily For This Useful Post:

tubster  (26-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We actually co sleep my 4 year old, DD 2.5 and the newborn and I sleep in the same room (newborn in the cot).
    Everyone manages to go to bed together at the same time and wake up together with no issues, just DD mid night wakes. She started doing that before we had our newborn. I don't remember DS doing that at the same age.
    Last night she had a little one and I was able to put her back to sleep without waking anyone else. Fingers crossed it will just be a little one tonight!
    Now I feel really nervous when I go to bed, I am scared she might wake up and scream the house down. Even when I am asleep I am constantly waking up thinking she's going to start any time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    It sounds like it may be night terrors.
    I am not sure if it's night terror or not, I have read a bit about it and she's not that dramatic and when she whinges or screams occasionally she's actually awake.
    She went to bed at 6 today, she had no nap today and she said she wanted to go to sleep.
    She's already screamed twice since falling asleep ;(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Is she awake and responsive or eyes open and staring blankly / past you?
    I would say half of the time she is quite responsive once she's calm from the crying, she wouldn't tell me why she's crying or upset but would say things like mummy cuddle, etc.