+ Reply to Thread

Default Worried about being a SAHM

My husband and I currently work FIFO but i'll be stopping soon to have our first baby. I'll have to be a SAHM for at least a year or so, as I won't have my husband around to help me out in the evenings, as I feel getting another full time job plus being a pseudo single mother 3 weeks of the month might be too tricky. I'll keep my eye out for part time work, but that can sometimes be difficult to find if you didn't work for the company prior to having a baby.

I'm worried that people may look down on me or judge me for my choice to be a SAHM, have any of you experienced that?

At home
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think 12 months at home is pretty usual given a lot of women take 12 months mat leave. I dont think anyone would bat an eyelid at any choice you make.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My husband works FIFO and I took 12 months off work after we had our first baby. I fell pregnant while I was on maternity leave, went back to work for a few months and then took more leave for our 2nd. I've ended up leaving my job to stay home with the kids full time.

It's hard work having a fifo partner and looking after the kids on your own when they are away. Especially when they are little. Even when I went back to work in between having my 2 I only went back part time and that was more than enough, especially when hubby was away.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. It's your family and your choice. You have to decide what's best for you and your family, and if that means taking time off work, then so be it. For me, it's the best option to be a SAHM as that way I get time with hubby when he's home instead of rushing off to work each day.