+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD neighbours children and DV

Curious to know WWYD if anything.
    Our house peaks over the fence to our neighbours yard. So we can hear conversations and see into their yard quit clearly- even if we weren't trying. We hear a lot of things from their back deck and driveway.
    The family has two kids - mum and boyfriend. From what I can gather the baby is theirs together and the eldest daughter is from a previous relationship.

The parents fight a lot. He yells horrible abuse at her and slams the door etc. I have seen him yank the baby from her arms. I have also seen him chase the older daughter around the yard threatening to kick her and also yielding a broom handle all the while yelling expletives and being generally a horrible person. These episodes usually erupt from small mishaps- ie she accidentally bumped the baby when playing etc.

He is a horrible excuse for a man. I can't begin to understand the details of why she is still with him.

I am unsure if there is anything I can do to help. Part of me thinks it's not my place to do anything. But it also upsets me that these poor children are living amongst such horrific verbal abuse and threatening behaviour.
    So WWYD?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would report it to the police. It's a domestic disturbance to be screaming expletives etc.. How awful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call the police every single time. No question.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (13-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I would:

Make an anonymous report to the police as soon as anything started

Document anything seen and heard - date, time, incident

Ring DOCS (sorry, I'm a mandated notifier so I don't know what the actual report line is called if you're not mandated)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD neighbours children and DV

What type of verbal abuse does he yell at them? If I saw him belt a child I would call the cops. If not I may call child protection.
    Last edited by VicPark; 20-03-2015 at 20:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Call the police. PLEASE! Coming from someone who grew up in a house like this I wish so much that one of our neighbours had done this and saved my siblings and I from years of damaging verbal and physical abuse.

Call them every time it happens. Call DOCS too and report each incident. It might just be the wake up call she needs to leave. There is no doubt about what's happening here, it's not like you've seen or heard something that could be taken out of context. It's very clearly abuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Call the police. Right now. This is child abuse and domestic violence. Why are you even doubting yourself over this???
    I'm not doubting if it is abuse or not. I'm doubting if I feel comfortable interfering in someone else's life like this.
    She doesn't work and doesn't seem to have much family/friends. We'll not the we have ever seen visit in the last 12mths. It just concerns me if I make a call and tear her away from her kids somehow - as a mum- it just makes me upset to think about. As I said - I don't know why she is with this man. I can't speak for her. I just wanted to gauge other ppls opinions to confirm what I already was thinking I would do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    I'm not doubting if it is abuse or not. I'm doubting if I feel comfortable interfering in someone else's life like this.
    She doesn't work and doesn't seem to have much family/friends. We'll not the we have ever seen visit in the last 12mths. It just concerns me if I make a call and tear her away from her kids somehow - as a mum- it just makes me upset to think about. As I said - I don't know why she is with this man. I can't speak for her. I just wanted to gauge other ppls opinions to confirm what I already was thinking I would do
    Think about the children not the mother.
    No matter is going on they deserve better.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (20-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would call the police and call Child Safety to make a report. And I would do this every time I hear/see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    And the thought of those kids being assaulted or murdered by this man doesn't make you upset??

She won't immediately have the children removed. She will offered assistance to leave her boyfriend and give the children a safe place away from him. If she then refuses to leave him, move out or continues to see them, then she is clearly unable to protect her children and they should be removed until she is able to protect them.

If she continues to expose her children to a dangerous environment and doesn't protect them, then I don't really care how sad her life has been. Her children shouldn't have to suffer to consequences of her bad choices.
    Of course it does! Clearly I'm concerned or I wouldn't be considering how to best approach the the issue

Perhaps this is easier for you to see so black and white.
    I have my own families safety in mind as well. Since it will be pretty obvious if they find out a neighbour reported it - we are the only ones with such a vantage point into their yard.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (20-03-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-05-2015)