+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice.

I also find it reassuring that others have gone through the same thing. I will definitely try your suggestions.
    I really hope today is an easier day for you.

Your welcome to pm me if you like.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

hollypolly  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I'm shocked that sleep school told you to leave her crying for 20 mins. That's an eternity!!

If it's not working and everything else sounds fine, eg she's eating lots, nap is not too long, then I personally think you may have to stay with her until she's asleep. It's been a month. It sounds like she needs this. My son became a very clingy sleeper around the age of 2, I had to sit on a chair in his room until he fell asleep. I didn't interact with him, just shut my eyes and sat there. If he talked to me I just said "shhhh sleepy time". If I left the room he screamed. Didn't last too long,and was hard, but he needed that reassurance.

Hope you get it sorted!!
    This. My dd1 age 18-20mths became the worst sleeper ever. I was 6-7 mths pregnant and not impressed. But I followed Dr sears method for toddlers and that phase did pass.

I understand your distress as I also had 2 under 2. I used to have newbie in my carrier as I shushed my toddler to sleep.

It's not hard to sit in with them as they fall asleep. I used to play on my phone but now I read on my iPad. My dd2 age 2.5yo is going thru this atm. She gets distressed when I leave the room. So I sit with her and hold her hand till she drifts off. It usually takes 5-15min. Happy content baby makes a happy mummy.

Btw I find my kids more needy of my attention on daycare days. On home days they don't seem to 'need' me as much.

I've started to really enjoy bedtime with my kids. It's a beautiful time of night to just sit with them in silence.
    Good luck and remember they are only little once.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I was thinking about this thread last night. I only have one child, but he was a terrible sleeper so I think I understand feeling stressed about dealing with this while being pregnant. Just wondering, because you seem a little anxious and tense (understandably) - would it help any to change your mindset a little to - it's better for the baby if the toddler is quiet rather than screaming? So if it takes less time to settle your DD by sitting in her room for a few minutes while she drifts off to sleep (whether it's you or your DH and the other is attending to the baby), then this will produce a calmer environment for everyone. It will then mean you have more time for your bub, rather than spending a tense hour with a distressed toddler.

I'm not sure if this helps. A lot of hubbers would probably be frustrated by this approach I know, but after 18months of trying to bend my stubborn child to suit me, we are both a lot happier if I can adapt to his needs at the time. I have some non-negotiables sure, like DS always sleeps in his bed unless he is ill, he doesn't get out of his cot until the sun is up etc., but otherwise I try to respond to him a little.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (21-03-2015),hollypolly  (21-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Harvs, I have really thought about your advice and think we are going to give this a try. As you said, I am pretty tense and anxious about this. It is really distressing me to hear my daughter cry for so long and I am very keen to try something else. We have tried various things so far, but nothing has worked. If I can get her to fall asleep with one of us in her room within a reasonable period of time, that might be the answer for now.

I also think our non-negotiables (like DD sleeping her own cot unless sick) are the same as yours. Thanks again for all your advice.
    Last edited by hollypolly; 21-03-2015 at 14:05.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (21-03-2015),harvs  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Little update - DH stayed in DD's room tonight after we put her down and she was asleep within 10 minutes without tears!! We will keep this up and see how we go. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-03-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (21-03-2015),Nafsika  (21-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-03-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Oh yay!!!!!

That's so great!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

hollypolly  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Little update - DH stayed in DD's room tonight after we put her down and she was asleep within 10 minutes without tears!! We will keep this up and see how we go. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
    That's awesome. Sounds like she just needs the reassurance at the moment. Don't worry about 'habits'. These little phases come and go in my experience. You've obviously met her need tonight. And all the better that it was DH because that shows you that when baby comes he can do it if needed while you see to bub

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-03-2015),harvs  (21-03-2015),hollypolly  (21-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you do anything different during the day with her? Food? Play? Story? Etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, nothing different during the day. We did do lots of activities and she ate lots, but that is pretty normal. I think she did just want someone in the room. My DH is a super hands on Dad, and he said he is happy to do it so she doesn't get dependent on me being there for when the baby arrives.

She hasn't made a peep since she went to sleep. I am feeling very pleased - it has been a much less stressful night!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-03-2015),harvs  (21-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I'm shocked that sleep school told you to leave her crying for 20 mins. That's an eternity!!

If it's not working and everything else sounds fine, eg she's eating lots, nap is not too long, then I personally think you may have to stay with her until she's asleep. It's been a month. It sounds like she needs this. My son became a very clingy sleeper around the age of 2, I had to sit on a chair in his room until he fell asleep. I didn't interact with him, just shut my eyes and sat there. If he talked to me I just said "shhhh sleepy time". If I left the room he screamed. Didn't last too long,and was hard, but he needed that reassurance.

Hope you get it sorted!!
    This was the same for me. Now it's hit and miss with regards to staying in the room. Sometimes I can walk out after stories and others he asks me to sit down so I sit in silence next to his cot for 5 mins or so

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (22-03-2015)