+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    That makes it very hard.. At daycare you really have no control over toddler nap times. And getting home at 5:45 doesn't leave you with much time with your tot..

Could daycare feed dinner that you supply at 5pm so you could give your tot a 5 min shower at 5:45, then cuddles and play for a 6:30pm bed?
    I would have to discuss it with them. I will put her down earlier over the weekend though and see if that helps. Then I can chat with daycare about dinner on Monday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Protein is they key to filling a toddler up. 1/3 meat. I've been known to throw a few slices of ham at my ds1 in the evening because the pasta out of the packet didn't cut it.
    If she could have all meat she would be a happy girl! She takes after her Dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The group has given you some great ideas.

I might add my thought also.....

Given the age, could you put in a single bed?
    Maybe put those pillow pet toys so they can watch the stars?
    Read a book before bed?
    During the day, make her tired, been if she lays down.
    I know when my son gets up before 6.30am it will be a long day, but my 10.30am his tired and has a long nap.
    What time is dinner? I thought I read 4pm....maybe do dinner around 5.30pm, 6.30 bath, 7pm bed.
    Do you think something is scaring her? Can you ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think day care should follow your wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My son went through a rough patch at 26 months, but there were a lot of contributing factors. I was pregnant at the time as well so felt exactly the way you do. But my biggest regret is that I wasn't there for him when he needed me. He needed me in his room at bedtime but I sat outside his room because I was worried about dealing with a newborn when she arrived.

If I was you, I would sit next to the cot but not talk. Then eventually move further away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    The group has given you some great ideas.

I might add my thought also.....

Given the age, could you put in a single bed?
    Maybe put those pillow pet toys so they can watch the stars?
    Read a book before bed?
    During the day, make her tired, been if she lays down.
    I know when my son gets up before 6.30am it will be a long day, but my 10.30am his tired and has a long nap.
    What time is dinner? I thought I read 4pm....maybe do dinner around 5.30pm, 6.30 bath, 7pm bed.
    Do you think something is scaring her? Can you ask?
    Thanks for your ideas! I am really grateful for all the replies and advice I have received

We haven't tried a single bed yet. I was worried she might be too young and it might be stressful to introduce this right before the new baby arrives.

I like the pillow pets idea. I will definitely try and get one of these!

I don't know if something is scaring her. I don't think so because it seems more like a tantrum than real distress. She also is a bit young to ask. We have just started letting a bit of light into her room (sleep school said it should be all pitch black) but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    Thanks for your ideas! I am really grateful for all the replies and advice I have received

We haven't tried a single bed yet. I was worried she might be too young and it might be stressful to introduce this right before the new baby arrives.

I like the pillow pets idea. I will definitely try and get one of these!

I don't know if something is scaring her. I don't think so because it seems more like a tantrum than real distress. She also is a bit young to ask. We have just started letting a bit of light into her room (sleep school said it should be all pitch black) but that doesn't seem to have helped.
    You can get one from Kmart for $15 I think or a Disney one at target for $25 I have a Kmart one. You can get her to choose one.

As for the bed, you can tell her, "your a big girl now, time for a bed" and allow her to choose a quilt cover, Peppa pig or Dora, or whatever else she likes, you can put rails on also.

A gro clock (which is like $60) I think which you tell her when the sun shows is when you get, not sure how they work exactly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

hollypolly  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The exact same thing happened to us with DS who is nearly 2yo.

Before holidays he would happily fall asleep in his room by himself.
    After holidays we would follow the same routine but he would scream and yell and cry for so long... Our strategy before holidays was to leave him to cry for 20 min before doing anything. That would be usually sufficient for him to fall asleep.

But this time this wouldn't work.

I finally figured out that it was separation anxiety and the leaving him out to cry was making him worse.
    So for a couple of nights we would go back to his room, give him
    a big cuddle (without taking him out of his cot), low talking, reassuring him that we were there for him and leave. the room again. It worked wonders.

Also we changed his routine and we are now reading bedtime story while he is in his bed. He loves it.

Good luck. it took a few nights for us but he is now back to his normal self.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This sounds similar to what we are going through with my 2 year old. She has woken early, at 5 am, for ages and we have just gotten used to it.
    In terms of the not settling, I sit in a big comfy recliner in her room and just say shhh when necessary to help her get to sleep.
    It can take 30 mins but eventually it works. She may also need less day sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice.

I also find it reassuring that others have gone through the same thing. I will definitely try your suggestions.