+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, no change to her diet. Her tummy is fine. She is completely fine (happy even) until we leave the room, then she completely loses it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My first thought is over-tiredness. A 2 year old needs 12-14 hours sleep per 24 hours. Your tot is getting 11-11.5 max. 5am is a very early start to the day and 7:30pm is far too late a bedtime for a 5am riser

Start putting bub to bed at 6 or 6:30pm. A bub who isn't as over-tired may sleep longer. You can slowly push this bedtime back to 7pm once the early rising ends. Try nudging the day nap closer to 1pm. First 11:30 for a few days, then 12 for a few days then 12:30 and so on. Putting your tot down to bed early for the day nap just reinforce the early rising.

My second thought is cold. 5am is the coldest part of the day. What temp is it in bubs room at bed time, what bedding does bub have (clothes, blankets etc) and what temp is it at 5am?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Third thought: hunger. Does your tot have at least 1/3 protein (meat/lentils etc) for lunch and dinner? And morning and afternoon tea? Sometimes if a tot has too much milk it can impact solid intake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    The same for me exactly. I finally got DS self settling at bedtime to the point where I could pop him in his crib and leave the room, and then around 2 that stopped happening. I still need to sit in his room with him at 2 and 5 months. I am wondering if the holiday thing is a coincidence.
    Thank you so much for this! I keep feeling like I "broke" my daughter by taking her on holiday and, that if I hadn't, we'd all be fine. Basically, I keep thinking it's my own fault and that is making me feel so much worse. I hadn't even considered that it could be a coincidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    My first thought is over-tiredness. A 2 year old needs 12-14 hours sleep per 24 hours. Your tot is getting 11-11.5 max. 5am is a very early start to the day and 7:30pm is far too late a bedtime for a 5am riser

Start putting bub to bed at 6 or 6:30pm. A bub who isn't as over-tired may sleep longer. You can slowly push this bedtime back to 7pm once the early rising ends. Try nudging the day nap closer to 1pm. First 11:30 for a few days, then 12 for a few days then 12:30 and so on. Putting your tot down to bed early for the day nap just reinforce the early rising.

My second thought is cold. 5am is the coldest part of the day. What temp is it in bubs room at bed time, what bedding does bub have (clothes, blankets etc) and what temp is it at 5am?
    This could be a bit difficult for us at the moment. She goes to daycare 4 days a week, so we are often not home until 5.45pm. But I will certainly try to get her into bed earlier and see if helps. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I'm shocked that sleep school told you to leave her crying for 20 mins. That's an eternity!!

If it's not working and everything else sounds fine, eg she's eating lots, nap is not too long, then I personally think you may have to stay with her until she's asleep. It's been a month. It sounds like she needs this. My son became a very clingy sleeper around the age of 2, I had to sit on a chair in his room until he fell asleep. I didn't interact with him, just shut my eyes and sat there. If he talked to me I just said "shhhh sleepy time". If I left the room he screamed. Didn't last too long,and was hard, but he needed that reassurance.

Hope you get it sorted!!
    I would try and find a root cause first. Once you start down this slope it can be hard to stop - It only takes a few nights for a habit to form, can take weeks or months to break one. Suits some I guess but no way in hell I would have the patience for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Third thought: hunger. Does your tot have at least 1/3 protein (meat/lentils etc) for lunch and dinner? And morning and afternoon tea? Sometimes if a tot has too much milk it can impact solid intake.
    She is a very fussy eater. She lots of different things at daycare but at home her diet is nearly all meat, fruit and bread. We keep offering more variety but she isn't that interested. She does eat a lot though. Not big meals necessarily, but she does graze all day long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try and find a root cause first. Once you start down this slope it can be hard to stop - It only takes a few nights for a habit to form, can take weeks or months to break one. Suits some I guess but no way in hell I would have the patience for it.
    This is my exact fear VicPark! I think this would be too much for me, especially with a newborn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    This could be a bit difficult for us at the moment. She goes to daycare 4 days a week, so we are often not home until 5.45pm. But I will certainly try to get her into bed earlier and see if helps. Thanks!
    That makes it very hard.. At daycare you really have no control over toddler nap times. And getting home at 5:45 doesn't leave you with much time with your tot..

Could daycare feed dinner that you supply at 5pm so you could give your tot a 5 min shower at 5:45, then cuddles and play for a 6:30pm bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    She is a very fussy eater. She lots of different things at daycare but at home her diet is nearly all meat, fruit and bread. We keep offering more variety but she isn't that interested. She does eat a lot though. Not big meals necessarily, but she does graze all day long.
    Protein is they key to filling a toddler up. 1/3 meat. I've been known to throw a few slices of ham at my ds1 in the evening because the pasta out of the packet didn't cut it.