+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler Sleep Issues - PLEASE HELP!!!

My DD 23 months was a terrible sleeper till we went to sleep school at 13 months. Then she went to bed fine and was sleeping well until we went on holiday a month ago.

Now every night at bed time she goes into her cot fine but then instead of sleeping she screams and screams. It can take from 20 minutes to an hour for her to go to sleep. We are using responsive settling but it doesn't seem to be working.

I am so stressed by this. We are in an apartment and listening to her screaming is making me feel sick. But I am terrified of setting new sleep associations (us in the room, patting etc) because of our time pre-sleep school where she wouldn't sleep AT ALL with out us in the room and patting her. I basically had no sleep for over a year.

She also wakes at 5am and that is leaving me even more exhausted.

PLEASE HELP!! I have a baby due in less than 3 months and I am not coping at all with this. I would be grateful for any tips at all. I cannot deal with this any longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If bub wakes at 5am what time is the day nap? Bedtime? What is the bedtime routine like? How are solids? Still having milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We co slept and it was much more peaceful and yummy and no stress.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (20-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is 23 months. Eats heaps. Drinks lots of milk. Doesn't nap much - usually about 11.30 - 1.00pm at most. The screaming and tears occur at nap time soon. Co-sleeping isn't really an option for us.

I am not coping at all with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was she sleeping in a cot on your holiday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried panadol?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She was sleeping in a cot in our room on holiday which she loved.

We have given her panadol when she is unwell, but it hasn't made any difference to her sleeping. This has also been going on a month, so I don't feel I can give panadol everynight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What is your wind down routine?

When DS was about that age we started to make going to bed fun by doing a train. I also need to front load him with talking about bed for at least am hour before it happens - bed time soon, do you want to take teddy or dinosaur tonight? Will I leave the door open or shut when you're in bed tonight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What strategies did sleep school use previously? Can you start them from scratch again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bedtime routine is pretty good. We put on her PJs, then say goodnight to the sun (we shut the blinds and make the apartment fairly dark). She then has some milk and books (usually about 4). After that we put some of her toys to sleep and walk into her room together. She gets to turn off the light and shut the door. We put her in the cot in a sleeping bag, give her Minnie Mouse and have some kisses. She is very happy throughout this whole process. Then we say goodnight and leave and she screams and cries and yells out for me.

Sleep school told us to put her to bed awake. Then leave her 20 minutes and go in and pat her for a couple of minutes (not to put her to sleep but to calm her). Then quickly leave and repeat until she sleeps. This worked after a couple of days at sleep school. It's not working at all now. She fights being patted and is far more hysterical after we leave. Going in often means she cries longer and takes much longer to sleep. It's been a month and there is no progress.