+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast and Bottle Feeding Advice

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, i have seen some debates going on around the hub today and i am not interested in any of it. I am just looking for advice and support related directly to my question please.

I am pregnant with my first, and i have to admit that i am not feeling like i want to BF. Its just not something i ever thought 'i' would do, maybe i never thought about it? I dont feel that the constant need for attachment will be good for my personality IYKWIM :what: i just dont have that desire.

Anyway, i want my DF to be able to feed my DS as well even if i do BF. So i am wondering if anyone one has successfully expressed enough milk for DF to bottle feed as well as me BFing? Or do you supplement with formula? I am under the impression that to express alot of milk i would be strapped to a machine all day. Plus mastitis risks etc.

Its very important to me that DS can take a bottle. Has anyone successfully done this or did you find primarily bottle feeding and letting BM dry up the best option?

Thank you for your help, i dont really have anyone else to ask!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I BF for 2 days and I hated it . It was painful and stressful . I ended up in tears every feed so I decided to FF and it was the best decision . I was a happy mum with a happy baby and that is all that mattered to me. As I was still in hospital , the Dr gave me tablets to dry my milk up.

I wish you all the best in your motherhood journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I was like you and didn't ever see myself as a BF'er. It just didn't appeal to me at all! My advice would be to not think too much about this until your little one is here... You may change your mind (or you may not)! I was adamant I would only feed DS for the first few days to he could get the goodness of the colostrum. Fast forward 9 months and we are still going strong and I have grown to love breastfeeding.

In the early days I did express so DH could give DS a bottle but I did find it time consuming to be honest. Now, DS probably has 4-5 bottles of formula per week so DH can feed him or if we are out and about he can have a bottle (at 9 months he is very easily distracted from the boob!)

Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It is definitely possible express and have a partner feed a bottle. I have done it many times. I only hand express. I am blessed with a great supply. So yes it doable for some women. I won't say all because that simply not true. It's worth having ago if that is the path you choose.
    I have breastfed 6 kids and a combined 10 plus years so it's all I know. I am sure a formula or mixed feeder will be able some great advice about that. I won't simply because I know nothing about it.

Just remember there is no right or wrong path. Which way you feed your baby being fed, formula, ebm (expressed breastfeeding milk), donor milk or direct breastmilk is all that matters is that they are fed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

deku  (20-03-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (20-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's hard to know how easy/difficult different options will be until you try it, as (for one thing) you have no idea what your supply will be like.

My thoughts would be:

1. Give breastfeeding a try if you're willing. You may love it, hate it or not really be fussed...but you won't know until you try, and then you know what options work for you.

2. Give expressing a go. I got heaps, easily, early on...but for others it can be extremely time consuming. If you do decide that you want to breastfeed, then supplementing with formula may mess with your supply. Obviously not an issue if you decide not to/that you're not fussed with breastfeeding.

My daughter was exclusively fed breast milk (breastfed and expressed) until about 3 months, then mix fed. I would have expressed enough for a feed every day. Some got used, some was frozen. Again though, I had a really good supply and could express easily - that's not the case for everyone. From 3 months she had 1 bottle of formula a day, and it didn't seem to mess with my supply at that point.

3. Give bub bottles from early on. Again, if you decide you really want to breastfeed then bub may develop a preference for the bottles...but if bottle feeding is important to you, it can be a lot easier to ensure bub will take one if you start it early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Just remember there is no right or wrong path. Which way you feed your baby being fed, formula, ebm (expressed breastfeeding milk), donor milk or direct breastmilk is all that matters is that they are fed.
    This is exactly how i feel thanks for your advice LoveLivesHere

Thanks
    Reviews
    I managed to express enough for a full feed from 1 session. TBH in the early days we mucked around with DH giving a bottle of EBM but I just found it easier to BF, rather than feed & pump.
    At 6 months I went back to work & DD started having EBM bottles 2 days a week with no trouble. I only bother with EBM as I have a good supply, if it took more than 1 session to express a feed I probably would have introduced formula at daycare.

I would say keep an open mind, give it a go & decide how you feel once bub has arrived. There is no right or wrong as PP's have said.

In saying that, bear in mind if you do decide to BF, giving formula in the early days can compromise your supply & you may find you have to switch to formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    With my first, I introduced a bottle of formula at 3 months and by 6 months any night feeds she had were formula and by day she Breastfed. She weaned at 10 months in the end so it's definitely doable. I expressed a bit as well for a few months.

My tips would be to wait until BF is established before introducing a bottle of EBM or formula so 6 weeks (which can be a bloody hard slog) or so but do be aware that some babies do decide that bottles are better than boobs and find it difficult to go back to the breast. This didn't really bother me TBH, I had PND and needed all the help I could get so happily introduced that bottle so DH could do feeds as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh and with my third who was premature, I expressed full time for the first two months and then part time until he was five months and on the breast exclusively and TBH it was really hard work. Worthwhile for our family but yeah, hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it totally is possible to mix feed whether that's with expressed milk if you have time and enough or formula. I was about 95% sure I would ff before having ds1 for many reasons including the fact that the thought of bf physically repulsed me and i just didn't want to be tied down and solely responsible for feeding. My DH was very supportive of this and was also keen to be involved with feeding. So we had all the bottled ready, formula bought etc. I always thought I would try and give colostrum for the first few days but then change to bottle feeding when at home.

However once baby was born as I had to stay in hosp almost a week and was surrounded by people who were supportive and helpful about bfeeding I found that I did actually enjoy it and part of me didn't want to let them down by giving up. But i didn't find it easy and by day 4 I was at breaking point emotionally and physically so ended up expressing and giving baby bottle exclusively. Although people don't advise introducing bottle that early I needed to do it and to me it was more important that I bottle feed whether formula or trying to continue expressing. I ended up expressing and giving bottles for about 10 days before trying bfeeding again and he took to it straight away. Now I know not all babies do but mine had no issues feeding from bottle and breast. After that my husband would usually give 1-2 feeds per day and some days this would be expressed milk if I had time to express, otherwise formula. Now again I was lucky in that my milk supply was never an issue and even skipping the off feed didn't affect my supply but if you're worried just express at the same time baby is having the bottle.

Considering I never planned to bf I was very proud that I managed for 6 months but then I went back to work and suddenly I just wanted my body back and it felt time to stop. I'm very happy with that decision, I always thought the first 6 months are the most important and for me bf was fulfilling a nutritional need and I don't feel as strongly about the other aspects such as nurturing etc as others.

One thing I did find hard though was that I felt very guilty that I changed my mind and decided to bf. I felt I was being selfish and denying my husband the experience of feeding and it caused a bit of stress early on. So what I would say is don't make too many decisions while pregnant as things do completely change after the birth and don't worry about changing your mind or feel pressured into one avenue or the other. As much as its great to have so much support for bfeeding I think people feel they can only exclusively do one and for many people mixed feeding is the perfect balance. Good luck with whatever you decide.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (20-03-2015)