+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Out of Pocket Costs of Private Hospital Birth??

Hi all,
    I am 36 weeks pregnant and just had my pre-admission appt at St John of God Subiaco, where I was told about allllllllll these unexpected out of pocket costs, without being told how much they will be!!

This is my second child. But with our first we went public and it cost basically nothing. The problem with public was I had a horrific time during the ante-natal stages, and it really put me off going through the public system again. Having chosen private this time, I thoight I had researched the out of pocket expenses reasonably well (based on my recollection of what happened last time), but apparently I forgot about the paediatrician and anaesthetist and so on and so on. I'm having a booked Caesarian, so there will undoubtedly be some unavoidable costs (paeds and anaethetics come to mind), despite my "delivery being fully covered" (so I was told when I enquires about the costs when booking into my OB at 6 weeks gestation)!!

so, I am wondering if anyone is willing to share with me their out of pocket expenses for their anaesthetist, paediatrician, medications, pathology, physiotherapy, etc etc etc.

We are with Bupa and I've looked over the list of anaesthetists and paediatricians they have on their roster, and only one of each are fully covered by Bupa. Which means I'm at a very low chance of having one or both of the big expensive fees I'll have to pay being fully covered!

alternatively does any one know about having your own anaesthetist or own paediatrician? Is that easy to arrange???

im so confused! Much too pregnant to be worrying about this right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @BeginnerMummy, I am also with Bupa and an currently 35w going private in QLD. This is #3 for me. Both my previous births only left me with a very small oop (about $200 for the anaesthatist and about $100 for the paed from memory) also these bills came in the mail about 6 weeks afterwards - so I had time to save for them. Not sure what it will be this time but am expecting about the same. I didnt have any other oops..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with Bupa too and had an emergency Caesarian.
    I had to pay a $525 out of pocket fee to my private hospital 4 weeks before I was due, which was the excess level we chose when taking out the policy I believe.
    Other than that the bills we got afterwards were roughly $100 for pathology, $400 for anaesthetist, $100ish for urology and $180 for paediatrician.
    Each of the bills came separately between 6 and 12 weeks after bub was born. They also sent a copy of what Bupa covered which was well over $5k.
    I had a fantastic experience, the extra cost was totally worth it in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roughly $400 for anaesthetist, $300 for pediatrician, $250 for surgeons assistant. Plus, we paid for my DH to stay in hospital with me. I think that was $80 a night plus the cost of his meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You will be OOP for anaesthetist, paed ( paed must be present during CS) and your partners meals.

Generally your surgery is covered as in surgical room fees, equipment use, surgeon, nurses, medication, room stay and your food. Usually physio and LC post birth care is also covered. If BUPA has providers at the hospital you can request them as you've booked in your CS. Just ring their offices up and check their scheduling.

Any emergency care that might be needed should complications arise during surgery are covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I have had 2 elective c sections. Both times I paid my hospital excess (which we have set at $500).

First time I was a private patient at a public hospital and the only out of pocket was the anaesthetist fee (as my ob used the guy she worked with at the private hospital), which was only a couple of hundred dollars as you only pay the gap. We received this about a month after bub was born.

Second time round I was at the private hospital. Anaesthetist must have been fully covered as I never received a bill for a gap payment. We were charged for the paediatrician...twice. Once for the initial check over after birth and then for a second check they did before I was discharged from hospital. This was actually quite expensive...from memory I think the 2 bills were about $500-600 all up which we were a bit shocked about as they really only spent 5-10 minutes with bub each time. Again we received this bill about a month after bub was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies

That's much more reassuring. I will give it a go to see if I can select the paeds and anaesthetist that are covered by Bupa.
    That should keep costs down

Cheers again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your health fund probably won't cover any of the paed fees as usually they don't classify bub as an inpatient. Sounds stupid I know! But they say that mum is the inpatient and bub is a border unless they are admitted to the SCN. Medicare will definitely give you a rebate though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a cs but I requested a particular paed for DSs checks. We'd had him for DD and I really like him - we are still seeing him for some ongoing issues DS is having.

I can't remember the exact amounts but I think my anesthetist was only about $100 oop (epidural at a civilised time of the day) and the paed was maybe a couple hundred all up after claiming on Medicare. I got a bill for about $40 for some tests and I think that was about it.

Of all the things to spend money on, the safe delivery and care of my child by people I have chosen is pretty up there as far as money well spent!

Good luck for the birth!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a VB at SJOG Subiaco. The epidural ended up being around $600-$700 OOP (can't remember the exact figure- just remember being horrified) because the anaesthetist on duty didn't have an arrangement with Bupa and the Medicare rebate was paltry. (Still money well spent, though!)

The paed cost maybe $300 OOP? Again, he was the one who happened to be there. And, as a PP said, the baby wasn't classed as an inpatient so not covered by Bupa, only Medicare.

This was for a Sat delivery, epidural during the day, baby delivered at 6:30pm.