+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default What to feed.

I guess this is a thread asking small families what they do with dinner. Ds is pretty fussy and I struggle with what to cook for him. He eats at about 5pm and as it is just me and him I am struggling to cook a healthy meal for him that I will want to eat 2+ hours later when I am hungry. How do you work it in your family when you only have 2 or 3 people to cook for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cook for my DS and he eats watching his favourite TV show. Also very fussy then I cook for me later. Hubby is FIFO and it's just the two of us most the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    When i was a single parent, i would cook in bulk and split into kid sized portions. I would then do the same for me.

So the kids would have casserole/rissole/chicken skewer/drumstick/ect and some veg or salad and a carb like a potato/rice/pasta.

I would have soup usually

Thanks
    Reviews
    long term single mum of two, we all eat at 5.30 lol I have a light snack around 10pm too
    its just easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What to feed.

It's just the 3 of us and we eat together at 6.30 - DH has been working late until about 8.30 a few nights a week so I try make things those nights I can reheat for him or are quick to cook:

Butter chicken and rice ( easy to reheat)
    Lasagna ( easy to reheat)
    Fish tacos /burittos ( just reheat the fish or any meat)
    Falafel or lamb kebabs ( wrapped in pita bread with tabouli and hummus and toasted in press)
    Pizza (makes DH when we make ours but cook his later)
    Burgers ( I do crab but you could do any and just cook the patty later)
    Chicken and sweet corn soup

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son will not easy veggies alone, but he will have 2 servings of stir fry. Figure that out. Weird.
    His fussy.

Can his plate be colourful? Or make a face with the food? (Never tried that)

Pasta? With Thomas pasta? Can you be advised by your child what to eat? Ask?

There are also plates available with the child's name in it, just to make it more interesting, also a plate where the inside is like a snake and has start to finish so they eat there way from start to finish.

My son is a little fussy, but his learned to like what there is, if his totally not interested then he will tell me.

Good luck.

As in meals to save you time, you can certainly do casseroles, pasta sauces, snizels or Parma so there nearly ready.

A healthy omelette also with lots of veggies.

Pizza

Sorry I'm going on. I'll stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a single mum. I just eat with the girls at 5pm. So much easier. Then I bathe and put the girls to bed, do the dishes and all done by 7.30. I tried eating by myself after the girls were asleep, it made me feel lonely to sit at the dining table and eat alone, so eating with the kids works better for me.

We have things like...
    Fried rice,
    Chicken drumsticks, sweet potato and salad,
    Rissoles and salad
    Steak and salad
    Roast with vegetables
    Homemade pizza

My favourite meals are ones where I bbq some meat and make a salad... It halves my washing up if all I have to do is scrape the BBQ clean. Oh, I also habitually cook enough for two nights, especially with things like fried rice.

I hope that helps...