+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds normal to me as well, if ur wasn't hitting milestones id be concerned, but sounds like walking, speech and ignoring you "no's" are coming along normally. Having said that, if you are worried it won't hurt to check with the GP , although he is probably too young at this stage to do any assessments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Very worried

My DD used to walk on her tip toes at first but she stopped doing it after a few months. She also flapped her arms in the high chair constantly. She stopped doing that a few months ago once she started feeding herself more. No ASD.

ETA that she's 2 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies it's been consuming me daily and it's made my anxiety go through the roof. The hand movement is more of a wrist twist then a flap. This morning he did it on the change table for about 3 secs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMumma View Post
    Thanks ladies it's been consuming me daily and it's made my anxiety go through the roof. The hand movement is more of a wrist twist then a flap. This morning he did it on the change table for about 3 secs.
    If it's a real concern talk to your health nurse.
    Sounds pretty normal to me though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a simple saying. SOME kids with ASD tip toe walk, but NOT all kids who tip toe walk have ASD". He sounds completely normal to me. Both my kids have gone through phases of doing strange movements and behaviours. Its totally normal. Especially the stopping then continuining behaviour! They are cheeky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for replying. It's so hard not to worry as a first time mum. It's been a really tough year so far for my family and stressing about this is not healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My brother tip toed until around 7-he's fine
    I still tip toe around the house with my shoes off. I've never looked into why, but I am assuming I'm ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not pointing by 12 months would be a concern for me.

The MCHAT is a great resource for screening for autism which is used by GPs and worth doing if you are worried.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/screen-your-child/m-chat-online-test/

Read up on joint communication and pay attention to whether your little one is using gestures to communicate.

There is never any harm in having him checked out by your GP or even asking for a referral to a developmental paed if you are worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's 12 months in 2 weeks and not pointing!!!! Now I'm really worried. He does clap and imitate me.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't be worried at all. They all do things at their own pace.

My son pointed quite early but my friend's son didn't point until recently (15-16 months) and they are both just as perfect as each other.

He sounds like he is interacting well with you, clapping and blowing raspberries etc. and babbling is wonderful too.

Re the walking - he will probably grow out of it and you'll forget he ever did it. If you're really concerned, visit your MCHN or doctor. The hand twist movement could be anything, my guess is it most likely is just some new thing he's realised he can do, and he will forget about it and move onto something else soon.