+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    It was crazy back then! It seems a few of the ones that were very "passionate" about BF are no longer members. I understand being an advocate and encouraging but being overtly negative when people decide to FF or have to FF was never helpful to anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol oh yes, it was crazy back then. Like the thread not long after I joined, so I would say early 2008 where a group of members (none of whom log on anymore) kept using the word poison over and over in regards to formula. I ended up with my one and only warning in that thread Or the spate of threads where members were genuinely advocating that formula be prescription only so that all us lazy mums could be 'educated' on the wonders of bm before we were given 'permission' to feed our babies. Or the thread that cited a study that bf kids were more popular in later life. Now I look back and just laugh, but back then it pretty savagely battered my self esteem.
    I remember one about needing a prescription for formula. This member thought it was the best idea ever, no thought to the load on the public health system.
    I've been to other forums where formula has been called poison, junk food like Pepsi etc. it's so ridiculous (people are so sanctimonious about this issue argh!).

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, and I bet they hate that. I used to feel the need to justify my use of formula, now I don't even think twice about it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I remember one about needing a prescription for formula. This member thought it was the best idea ever, no thought to the load on the public health system.
    I've been to other forums where formula has been called poison, junk food like Pepsi etc. it's so ridiculous (people are so sanctimonious about this issue argh!).

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, and I bet they hate that. I used to feel the need to justify my use of formula, now I don't even think twice about it lol.
    Oh yes because the cost of forcing desperate mums to get a prescription over and over was outweighed by the cost to the health system from formula lol All those poor sick formula babies

and I've seen formula on here compared to smoking, junk food and coke. It's little wonder things got so heated back then, the sanctimony was pretty full on.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),beebs  (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There's two things here that bother me with this issue:

One is there is an attitude out there of: 'Oh don't worry about having formula fed. It doesn't matter that your child won't be as smart - because you did your best and its better to be happy than smart'. And personally I find that rather patronising. Like a 'there, there' pat on the head.

Of course the inference that a formula fed child won't be as intelligent as a breastfed child has the potential to offend people! It feels like being talked to like a child who didn't win the race. 'oh well, you did your best honey'.

The second thing is that studies like these are deeply flawed. Formulas of 30 years ago are vastly different from those available today. Even today there are variations in formula. There are prescription formulas, formulas with probiotics, formulas with extra iron, standard formulas. There are a huge range to choose from because parents need to choose the food for their babies that suits that individual baby. There is no one perfect food that will suit every single baby out there. Not even breastmilk works well for every baby. One of my children thrived on it, the other was failure to thrive on breastmilk due to intolerances and other issues, and absolutely took off on prescription formula. The study has tried to account for many variables, but by the very nature of the issue being studied its impossible to account for everything.

Have I reduced my DS's potential intelligence by giving him formula? No, because he was getting sick on breastmilk. Studies like this can be dangerous. If I'd read this and thought I should stick it out at all costs or else risk losing valuable IQ points then I might have been tempted to continue with a food that was making him sick. That surely would have had a detrimental effect.

In any case, I just really don't see the point of running a study on what is effectively 30 year old formula companies?! I was 'formula fed' 30 odd years ago and it was pretty much just powdered soy milk (none of the nutrients they add today) according to mum. You cannot take results from a study on that kind of food and have it be relevant to todays formulas.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),babyla  (21-03-2015),beebs  (22-03-2015),delirium  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    3-ish point? Seriously??
    Sleep can improve test scores more than that!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),beebs  (22-03-2015),delirium  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Oh, how I remember those heady days on bubhub where I was told I didn't try hard enough, that if I really wanted to give my baby bm, then I could have accessed it even though I was recovering from a c/section with newborn twins, a subsequent uterus infection and didn't have a car. But yep. I was just too lazy to give my babies the best
    If only you loved your babies more....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-03-2015)