+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I love vague studies like this - it's like saying:

We observed several Ford Focus drivers yesterday and several Kia Rio drivers. Looks like many more of the Ford Focus drivers were overweight - so there may be a link between Ford and obesity!

Oh- but we didn't find out anything else about the drivers lifestyle, habits, history, genetics etc. So of course we can't say for sure.

What is the point?

I would happily file this away in the "not so significant" studies cabinet

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KiWolf For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    For the record I was exclusively formula fed from birth nearly 30 years ago and although I often can't spell simple words like of/off correctly in context, I think I do alright.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    While I know the intentions are wholly good, telling people in essence, that they choosing to be offended just keeps this us and them cycle going. Being told it's a choice and we are being over sensitive isn't going to make them feel better either.

I'm at a stage it doesn't offend me anymore and I actually think it says far more about those that feel the need to throw these studies around to make themselves feel like better parents than me. I'm 100% ok with my journey, and formula.

Unfortunately many aren't and it's them I speak for.

Citrus - I do know where you are coming from. I also know you aren't meaning to be rude. But imagine you are struggling emotionally 6 months after the switch to formula and someone is telling you in so many words you are choosing these horrible feelings.
    Last edited by delirium; 21-03-2015 at 08:13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Sorry if I offended anyone.
    Your posts have not been at all offensive. I didn't mean at all to suggest they were I was only trying to explore a bit further why I felt the way I did a few years ago. I'm sorry if I've upset you that truly was not my intention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This topic is so close to my heart that it warrants me coming out of my BH hiatus

Conclusions drawn from studies like this are ludicrous. As others have said there is absolutely no way of saying if BFing was the deciding factor in determining someone's success, intelligence and income. I would wager that whether a kid is read to and what type of help they get with their homework is more significant than what food they got as an infant.

I was bottle fed and am more intelligent that many people who were breast fed. I'm also way less intelligent than other people who were bottle fed, or fed carnation milk!!!

IQ is an outdated measure of intelligence. Intelligence is not "fixed".

If people who BF need something to apples themselves about then so be it. The ones I know irl sure as hell don't. They're just feeding their baby. It doesn't make you a better parent than anyone.

@babyla is so right. The support I received on here (and hopefully have in return) was so helpful to me and I would have suffered much more without you wonderful ladies.

I'm fortunate to be in a place now where stuff like this doesn't bother me, but like the others I also remember how it felt when I wasn't in that place.

There needs to be more support for all feeding mothers. The pressure in this country to BF is outrageous. It's not like this elsewhere. I have no idea what that's about.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),atomicmama  (21-03-2015),babyla  (21-03-2015),beebs  (21-03-2015),delirium  (21-03-2015),Mamasupial  (21-03-2015),MsViking  (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    There needs to be more support for all feeding mothers. The pressure in this country to BF is outrageous. It's not like this elsewhere. I have no idea what that's about.
    Governments covering their arses!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This topic is so close to my heart that it warrants me coming out of my BH hiatus

Conclusions drawn from studies like this are ludicrous. As others have said there is absolutely no way of saying if BFing was the deciding factor in determining someone's success, intelligence and income. I would wager that whether a kid is read to and what type of help they get with their homework is more significant than what food they got as an infant.

I was bottle fed and am more intelligent that many people who were breast fed. I'm also way less intelligent than other people who were bottle fed, or fed carnation milk!!!

IQ is an outdated measure of intelligence. Intelligence is not "fixed".

If people who BF need something to apples themselves about then so be it. The ones I know irl sure as hell don't. They're just feeding their baby. It doesn't make you a better parent than anyone.

@babyla is so right. The support I received on here (and hopefully have in return) was so helpful to me and I would have suffered much more without you wonderful ladies.

I'm fortunate to be in a place now where stuff like this doesn't bother me, but like the others I also remember how it felt when I wasn't in that place.

Welcome back Missed you!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-03-2015),btmacxxx  (21-03-2015),kw123  (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:

Welcome back I think this is part of what annoys me with these studies. Even taking out what they accounted for there is an infinite amount of factors that could have caused this tiny change in IQ. It's not like research on if vaxes work. You either get that communicable illness after the shot or you don't. It's a yes or no thing and easy to quantitate. But looking at 30 years of a million factors? Then there is the issue that formula has come a hell of a long way in 30 years, as has basic hygiene and water quality in Brazil.

Then the tabloids run with it. Then those with a vested interest in using the research to bolster their own self esteem plaster it on FB.... and we have arguments, confrontation and upset. All over a paper that shows very little difference with very questionable value anyway.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),beebs  (21-03-2015),kw123  (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I just want to add - because this needs to be noted to members that weren't here before or around 2012 that the fierceness with which bottle feeders were put down or told that their children wouldnt have shiny hair, their brains wouldnt develop properly, that they wouldnt bond with their child, that my child has eczema because of bottle feeding, these are a catalyst for many of the emotions you probably see now amongst some members today. I was a person that went head to head alongside posters like @girlX, @kw123 and @delerium and others in standing up to some very emotively charged and below the belt attacks on bottle feeding. Things have changed around here in regards to this issue and there is so much more support. It was not always like this.
    Oh, how I remember those heady days on bubhub where I was told I didn't try hard enough, that if I really wanted to give my baby bm, then I could have accessed it even though I was recovering from a c/section with newborn twins, a subsequent uterus infection and didn't have a car. But yep. I was just too lazy to give my babies the best

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-03-2015),Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),babyla  (21-03-2015),kw123  (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I just want to add - because this needs to be noted to members that weren't here before or around 2012 that the fierceness with which bottle feeders were put down or told that their children wouldnt have shiny hair, their brains wouldnt develop properly, that they wouldnt bond with their child, that my child has eczema because of bottle feeding, these are a catalyst for many of the emotions you probably see now amongst some members today. I was a person that went head to head alongside posters like @girlX, @kw123 and @delerium and others in standing up to some very emotively charged and below the belt attacks on bottle feeding. Things have changed around here in regards to this issue and there is so much more support. It was not always like this.
    lol oh yes, it was crazy back then. Like the thread not long after I joined, so I would say early 2008 where a group of members (none of whom log on anymore) kept using the word poison over and over in regards to formula. I ended up with my one and only warning in that thread Or the spate of threads where members were genuinely advocating that formula be prescription only so that all us lazy mums could be 'educated' on the wonders of bm before we were given 'permission' to feed our babies. Or the thread that cited a study that bf kids were more popular in later life. Now I look back and just laugh, but back then it pretty savagely battered my self esteem.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-03-2015),Amiedoll  (21-03-2015),beebs  (22-03-2015),kw123  (22-03-2015)