+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From a mother who failed at breastfeeding her first due to ongoing issues ( lasted 11 weeks) and who has successfully bf my second ( still going strong at 10 months) I can honestly say I see both sides here.

I was extremely emotional in regards to my first breastfeeding journey and completely sympathise with how this makes mums feel.

Both sides should b able to openly discuss the pros and cons to any feeding method without being judged.

Breastfeeding is amazing. But formula feeding is great too. Everyones situation is unique. Baby is fed. Thats the most important thing here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (19-03-2015)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    For those who actually want to debate it, post a thread in the debate it section, not the breastfeeding or bottlefeeding support section.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I never said it was rude.... But I guarantee all comments in this thread and yours have turned anyone (including me) off wanting to discuss any positivity.

It's fine, I'm happy for it to be closed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm not going to get into a debate about it, I've asked for this thread to be deleted because I can't be bothered with this attitude anymore. I've actually never seen what you're referring to in the couple years I've been on the hub but can remember before I was even pregnant so had never breastfed thinking 'Jeeze breast feeders pretty much need to keep their mouths shut here.' Maybe it happened more in the past.

Regardless of my thoughts I hope the mods close this soon.
    There was a thread just today with a member who has already put their child on formula in the bottle feeding section being told to keep bfing.

I don't think it's about keeping your mouth shut. It's more that it can't go both ways. With this section being a place to sing the praises of bfing while the ffing section is always ruined.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel frustrated. Again it's a very emotional topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Well my dd who refused to get off my boob for 2 years has NO excuse now to be a genius and become a doctor or lawyer and support her wonderful mother who had her tits lunched on for 2 long years 😜

In all seriousness thanks for posting this @HollyGolightly81 it makes me realise even if dd doesn't turn out super smart at least I gave her my best shot and it's been worthwhile
    This was the kind of attitude I was aiming for. Thanks little miss.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who breastfed four children, I hate it when these kinds of studies hit the news, and stir up the debates again. Breast milk may be one factor in IQ, but it is surely not the only one, or even a major one.

It's obvious there's a correlation with economic standing and class here. I can breastfeed, because I can either stay at home, or take my baby to work with me and nurse him there. But that's a very unique situation. I could never do that at 98% of the jobs in America right now, for example, factory work, retail of any kind, manufacturing of any kind, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaKitty View Post
    As someone who breastfed four children, I hate it when these kinds of studies hit the news, and stir up the debates again. Breast milk may be one factor in IQ, but it is surely not the only one, or even a major one.

It's obvious there's a correlation with economic standing and class here. I can breastfeed, because I can either stay at home, or take my baby to work with me and nurse him there. But that's a very unique situation. I could never do that at 98% of the jobs in America right now, for example, factory work, retail of any kind, manufacturing of any kind, etc.
    Did you read the article or study? It was done in Brazil where a wide range of socio-economic classes were looked at which is why they were claiming the study was better than others in the past that just looked at more middle class western societies.

In all honesty guys, thanks for reminding why I usually avoid posting about breastfeeding outside of advice. If a similar article had been posted about breastfeeding being found to not be that great in the bottle feeding section and I reposted it here talking about how ridiculous it was I would be getting absolutely caned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's an interesting read, but I think you are taking some of the comments too much to heart.

I unfortunately couldn't breastfeed my ds for as long as I wanted to and it does hit me hard thinking about it. But seeing studies that relate to breastfeeding and the effects on baby's immune systems or iq but sadden me but also make me proud that I even attempted to give my son the best start possible.

He got breastmilk, not a full 12 months worth, but he got it all the same. Hopefully, if these studies are correct, what he got does make a difference. This mumma is hoping for an NBA star coz he's already bl**dy tall!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

In all honesty guys, thanks for reminding why I usually avoid posting about breastfeeding outside of advice. If a similar article had been posted about breastfeeding being found to not be that great in the bottle feeding section and I reposted it here talking about how ridiculous it was I would be getting absolutely caned.
    When the WHO study came out a while ago showing very little long term benefits and kw123 posted it in the celebrate bottle feeding section it was over run with bfers getting all narky trying to discredit it. In fact it always is like that. I've seen the ffing section cleaned plenty of times bc of it.

I like you as a member and love the contribution you make to the forum. I just think you aren't seeing this fairly. You put up a news story in this section citing smarter babies, get angry when someone doesn't agree with it even though they didn't see what section it was in (and honestly it's happened to me as well when I've been on my phone). She then deletes her comments and takes those opinions to the bottle feeding area to discuss, which is exactly what you did, and you are still upset at her.

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative and haven't wanted to keep replying out of respect for the area but you keep saying you feel you can't be positive about bfing without getting attacked. There are heaps of positive bfing threads, bfing on this forum is held up in hugely high esteem to the point in my early days of parenting DS when I joined it felt so lop sided.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (21-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think his thread was started to debate bottle vs breast, but rather to say to BF mums "yay go us" and then other people seem to take that as being negative towards bottle feeders. I don't think that bottle feeding ever even had a place here. it's not like the OP was saying "boo you bottle feeders we're so much better" just celebrating the goodness of breastfeeding in a positive manner. Sigh.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-03-2015),BettyV  (20-03-2015),CitrusRainxxx  (20-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (19-03-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-03-2015),michellead  (20-03-2015),SoThisIsLove  (19-03-2015)