+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Putting DS on my Medicare card

I'm not sure if anyone will know how to do this but how do I get DS on my current Medicare card so that he can go to the dr while we're visiting OZ? He's an Australian citizen with passport and I am a permanent resident with a valid Medicare card but because he was born over here in the UK I obviously never received info on how to 'attach' him to my card. Is this something I have to do once we arrive or is there a way I can call them and get the ball rolling? I'm worried about landing and needing to go to the dr and him potentially not having cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went in while on a holiday when DS was six months old and put him on ours, they said that he had to be living in Australia (pass the residency requirement, even though he had an Australian passport and citizenship certificate - he was born in the USA and also holds an American passport), at that point we thought we would move back after our stint in the USA so told them we had the intention to move back as soon as our USA visas expired, and then things changed and we ended up moving to London.

I was was under the understanding that DS had to be residing in Australia, or have the intention to reside in Australia to add him to our card.

This is is from the Medicare website:

Australian citizens returning from overseas
    If you are an Australian citizen who is returning to Australia after being overseas for more than five years, you will need to provide:
    • proof of your Australian citizenship
    • documents to support your residency in Australia or your severing of ties with the previous country of residence, and in some cases both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Putting DS on my Medicare card

Hmmmm...

I think regardless of whether we live there or not that he has to go on my card as a dependent? I only say this because all of the Australian children I've ever looked after have been on their mother's card, when I'd have to take them to last minute dr appt at a bulk billing place I would take the mother's card with the children's names listed on them.

So does this mean we have to ensure he has medical travel insurance if he's not allowed to use Medicare? Isn't it the point of the system that all Australians are entitled to health care? 😕

Eta: does that mean DH and I aren't allowed to use it either? Not really an issue for me because I have international cover but I'd be pretty annoyed if i was DH, and annoyed for DS if this is the issue.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-03-2015 at 05:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Michelle can you attach that link? I'm having a hard time finding answers on their site.

Also, I'm wondering if you were told that regarding your DS because you were living in the states and they don't have a reciprocal Heath care agreement with Australia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have thought you would need to be an Australian resident for tax purposes to qualify for Medicare. We all pay the Medicare levy as part of our tax, so if you're not paying tax in Australia I don't know that you should qualify for free health care.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sejimumma For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sejinald View Post
    I would have thought you would need to be an Australian resident for tax purposes to qualify for Medicare. We all pay the Medicare levy as part of our tax, so if you're not paying tax in Australia I don't know that you should qualify for free health care.
    We are paying some Australian tax though as some of my husband's wage was paid in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sent you a PM...