+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah - I think it is - but much harder with other women!

If she doesnt get back to you, you can still make small talk - just dont take it personally if she doesnt want to develop a deeper relationship good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea, but I wonder about that too. We live regional and I see my GP outside of the surgery often, because our kids are similar ages and do the same activities (little athletics, swimming lessons, etc). Right now, I see us as acquaintances outside of the office. We don't discuss medical stuff outside the office, but occasionally talk about external stuff in the office.
    In your instance, you won't see her as a gp ever again, so I don't see why you can't become friends. She may be holding back because she is worried you will be uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    You can still be friends even if she was still your gp. Could you imagine if you were the only gp for 200 kids and no one would be your friend because you
    were there Dr.
    I mean sure she can separate her professional and personal relationships.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would follow her lead. Strike up a conversation, go out of your way to say hello but then let her be the one to ask for your number, befriend you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GPs can get a bit funny about this. I have some mates who are GPs. Trouble is that a lot of patients and ex patients (and even non patients) cross the line in social settings and start to ask about little johnny's rash or hubby's heart issues or something. Not only is this seeking a freebie and is appropriate, but they're unlikely to be covered by insurance if they give the wrong advice.

She may be a nervous about that type of thing. I'd be pleasant and friendly but not crowd her. At some point she'll probably realise that you know what lines you can't cross and it'll become more comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello.

She maybe thinking exacting the same thing!

Sometimes its awkward as an adult saying 'do you want to be my friend' so
    I'd make a joke out of it.

Maybe the next time you see her say
    'the universe keeps making us collide , either that or your following me! Fancy getting a coffee sometime?'

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    Clomid #1- 50mg 11/11/13 - No ovulation 😔
    Clomid #2- 100mg 26/12/13 - Ovulated yay!! - BFN
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 27th June
    ICSI #1 July '14 - 'Freeze All' / 18 Frosties
    FET #1 Oct '14 - BFP - praying our little girl arrives safely in June xxx 💕xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with above - maybe she is avoiding talking to you as she might think you feel weird about her having been your gp?

I'd just keep it friendly and say hello when you see her and go from there

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Haha! It's like dating!

I don't really mind if we're not 'friends' it's more just the avoiding properly chatting when we see each other that I find awkward. Ya know?
    yeah, I think harder than Dating.

I agree with everyone else ... a friendship is fine as she isnt your GP.

Maybe she just feels a little awkward

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Haha! It's like dating! 😖

I don't really mind if we're not 'friends' it's more just the avoiding properly chatting when we see each other that I find awkward. Ya know?
    yeah, I think harder than Dating.

I agree with everyone else ... a friendship is fine as she isnt your GP.

Maybe she just feels a little awkward

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    GPs can get a bit funny about this. I have some mates who are GPs. Trouble is that a lot of patients and ex patients (and even non patients) cross the line in social settings and start to ask about little johnny's rash or hubby's heart issues or something. Not only is this seeking a freebie and is appropriate, but they're unlikely to be covered by insurance if they give the wrong advice.

She may be a nervous about that type of thing. I'd be pleasant and friendly but not crowd her. At some point she'll probably realise that you know what lines you can't cross and it'll become more comfortable.
    Those are good points! But we're in the UK so even in a professional setting I'm getting a 'freebie.' 😉

Next time I run into at an activity I'll make more of an effort to have a small chat. 😊