+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm a little at some of them!

I think the worst advice I got was from MIL "Just give me a call if you need anything". Sure, I'll call the woman who abandoned her children on 4 different occasions before leaving for good on the 5th time when her kids were 8 and 12. The woman who used to smack her kids up side the head if they developed nervous ticks from worrying about her getting upset about their nervous ticks (confusing I know). The woman who, to help her son's ear ache, would blow cigarette smoke in his hear. The woman who, after seeing her son for the first time in 10 years, turned to his sister and said "well he's a bit weird isn't he?!". The woman who told her infertile (due to cervical cancer) daughter that she was a selfish baron old cow. Yep. I was definitely calling her for help...NOT!

Oh and my oldest SIL who told me not to worry if I had some bleeding at 7 weeks gestation because it was just implantation bleeding. For someone who had already gone through 2 pregnancy she obviously had no idea about how it all worked lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That I should do everything and slave over my DH because he's the man of the house

To let my kids cry themselves to sleep.

Not to co sleep or I will kill them then have no one but myself to blame.

Babies can start eating food from about 3-4 weeks.

Apple juice giving to a 4 week old will stop him from being constipated.

To continue to give my daughter breast milk (then though she was very sick and instructed by MANY peads that it was making her worse) because her being violently ill for the first 12 months will be worth it in the long run.

That the multiple urine infection my DS had were just teething and I was over reacted.

My god I could go on!!! Some of these were actually from the child health nurse too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I'm a little at some of them!

I think the worst advice I got was from MIL "Just give me a call if you need anything". Sure, I'll call the woman who abandoned her children on 4 different occasions before leaving for good on the 5th time when her kids were 8 and 12. The woman who used to smack her kids up side the head if they developed nervous ticks from worrying about her getting upset about their nervous ticks (confusing I know). The woman who, to help her son's ear ache, would blow cigarette smoke in his hear. The woman who, after seeing her son for the first time in 10 years, turned to his sister and said "well he's a bit weird isn't he?!". The woman who told her infertile (due to cervical cancer) daughter that she was a selfish baron old cow. Yep. I was definitely calling her for help...NOT!

Oh and my oldest SIL who told me not to worry if I had some bleeding at 7 weeks gestation because it was just implantation bleeding. For someone who had already gone through 2 pregnancy she obviously had no idea about how it all worked lol.
    My mum sounds like your MIL. 😮

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RaraMum View Post
    My mum sounds like your MIL. ������
    Yeah, she's a gem. So much so that we haven't spoken to her since...ummmm...I think it was actually the phone call to say I could call her if I needed anything lol which was not long after finding out I was pregnant with DS who is nearly 11. the last time we heard anything about her she had contacted her brother asking him to ring DH and SIL to see if they had any money to lend to her lol.
    Last edited by Chunkydunks; 18-03-2015 at 13:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My life is a whole series of taking bad advice… Bad advice is good to me hahaha… I love taking bad advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Yeah, she's a gem. So much so that we haven't spoken to her since...ummmm...I think it was actually the phone call to say I could call her if I needed anything lol which was not long after finding out I was pregnant with DS who is nearly 11. the last time we heard anything about her she had contacted her brother asking him to ring DH and SIL to see if they had any money to lend to her lol.
    Gosh. My mum ditched me so many times growing up. Got me to do pot deals for her in my teen years. Ignored me when I needed help getting away from my own drug issues. There is so much more. She was a "flower child" growinh up in the 60s and 70s and never really matured past 16 I don't think. We talk to her and visit a few times a year but she alwayd rings and wonders why we don't bring DD and DSSs to see her more. :what:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When pregnant with DS-

Be sure the drink 3L of milk each day. The baby leeches calcium from your bones and if you don't drink 3L of milk each day your bones will be damaged.

Legit.

I didn't bother telling her I'm dairy intolerant 😳😳

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

RaraMum  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some pearls here... I'll add..

Scrub your nipples with a nail brush during pregnancy to toughen them up.. Then, when I struggled to feed my tongue tied babies, "I told you to scrub your nipples with a nail brush! This is your own fault for not toughening them up!" Ummmm.. No, they are tongue tied, but anyway... (From my mother!)

Feed baby rice to tiny babies (from 6 weeks, I believe!) so they sleep through the night. (From my mother!)

Put the baby to bed in the bassinet in the laundry, shut all the doors and do not go back to the baby until morning. The theory here is that you won't hear the baby screaming so they'll soon give up and cry themselves to sleep and not bother crying any more. (From some random lady in the street!)

From 6 months of age, stop breast feeding cold turkey, give the baby a bottle with a tablespoon of sugar, an ounce of boiling water and top the rest of the bottle up with cows milk. Then, when I struggled to wean my 2 and a half year old, "I told you never to breastfeed past 6 months! I told you how to make the bottles up!" (From my mother!)

Many pearls of wisdom about how I should be boiling my mcns, just as my mother boiled the cloth nappies. Oh and she told me to tumble dry them. Thanks, but I am actually able to read and follow care instructions, thank you.

God, SO many more..! But I'll leave it there...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That eating a salada each morning before I got out of bed would ease my morning sickness/HG. This was after maxalon and ondansetron didn't work and I was put on prednisolone after a last resort and a trip to hospital. My mum - bless her cotton socks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the random old lady walking down my street as I went out to check the mail (eating an apple as I did so): that I shouldn't eat apples whilst pregnant as it would make my uterus the wrong shape and the baby would get "stuck inside".
    Wow.....