+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My baby won't settle on the breast, anyone have any advice?

My baby boy won't settle on the breast. He will attach perfectly fine three to five minutes later (and while still attached) starts to scream. Lactation consultants and doctors said my milk is in great supply with the let down not being too fast, and he doesn't suffer from reflux, silent or otherwise. He takes a bottle of expressed milk no problems without screaming/fussing. Does anyone have any suggestions or have been through something similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default My baby won't settle on the breast, anyone have any advice?

Have you been to a paed? Doctors told me my kids didn't have silent reflux. Turns out they both did! (DS still does).

DD screamed from the pain. DS doesn't so it's not just screaming that equals silent reflux.

What are his poos like?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No suggestions but just to say I have the same sort of issue although getting my baby attached is also an issue. She wriggles around and comes off my nipple really easily. Hopefully some other people will have some suggestions

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

MTAM  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No we have been to one yet. I want to keep breastfeeding but at the moment we both get so frustrated at feeding it is making it difficult to.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Hmm my first thought was fast letdown, then slow letdown (which will make the baby get frustrated and angry). As a pp said it could also be reflux.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried some other feeding positions? My initial thought was also let down, can you feel let down happening during that 5mins?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never really been able to feel a let down. But I have tried many different positions with the same result. Should I just go to bottle feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your bub?

New babies tire easily and breastfeeding is more work than bottle feeding. Your bub is probably liking the quick let down then getting cranky about it taking so long once the let down as slows. They get stronger over time. This is a very common issue.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MTAM  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is 3 months old... He has been this way for the past 1 1/2 months.
    We have also been seeing a chiropractor to see if that will help with no results. Even if there was a way just to help soothe him while feeding. Willing to try anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What happens when you take him off the boob when he starts screaming?

Could be reflux ? I didn't have reflux babies so no help there.
    Milk slowing down flow ? Perfectly normal but he isn't happy with the flow. You could try breast compressions as you feed.
    What are his bowels like?

Does he reattach and then feed well? Poor attachment could cause him to slip off and the milk disappears leading to unhappy baby.
    Weight gain steady?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 18-03-2015 at 05:50.