+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There have been many, many anti Tizzy threads on here.

I for one am not against these recommendations because Pete Evan's is a celebrity (although I'm not sure you could really call him that), I am against them because they are giving out dangerous health advice. And that isn't just to do with the baby broth formula.

I was thinking earlier, how strange it is that all of a sudden people are jumping on the paelo bandwagon because Pete Evans says so. Almost as funny as the time people started going gluten free because Kim Kardashian said she was. Fad diets are just silly.

Anyone who gets medical advice from a celebrity needs to put down the magazine and go and check with their doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    And that's totally fine, so don't feed it to your kids then.

All the keyboard warriors are out in full force over this, only because he's a celebrity in our face on tv etc. I'm sure there are 100s of books out there advising parents to do all sorts of controversial things, & they don't get the press pete Evans does.

What about people like Tizzie hall who wrote a book advising parents to overheat their babies with dangerous layers of blankets in order to get them to sleep - equally as controversial, but far less air time, because only parents with young kids have heard of her.

There will always be "someone" who writes "something" controversial - and as parents we can read it and chose to agree, disagree, or be indifferent.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-03-2015),RaraMum  (18-03-2015),Skyler  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There have been many, many anti Tizzy threads on here.

I for one am not against these recommendations because Pete Evan's is a celebrity (although I'm not sure you could really call him that), I am against them because they are giving out dangerous health advice. And that isn't just to do with the baby broth formula.

I was thinking earlier, how strange it is that all of a sudden people are jumping on the paelo bandwagon because Pete Evans says so. Almost as funny as the time people started going gluten free because Kim Kardashian said she was. Fad diets are just silly.

Anyone who gets medical advice from a celebrity needs to put down the magazine and go and check with their doctor.
    That's basically my point. It's been shown that celebrity endorsement gives ideas and products more credibility in the eyes of those who like them. Because his name is on it people will be more likely to believe that it's a good alternative and turn to it when breastfeeding isn't successful for whatever reason. And like I said previously, I've heard about a similar homemade formula from someone following a macrobiotic diet. I actually posted about it not long after I joined the site to get other peoples' ideas on it and the response was much the same as what's been in this thread.

Tizzy Hall has had her theories pulled apart for years. There are so many people who speak out against her.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015),LoveLivesHere  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ultimately, if you don't agree with it, then don't feed it to your kids.![/QUOTE]

It not about liking it, it is about seeing it as dangerous.

When you see something dangerous you do everything in you power to educate people.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015),RaraMum  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At the end of the day society and governments have a responsibility to ensure that people are aware of the risks assosciated with the use of controvertial products whether it be bath milk, unregulated home made formula etc. It would be irresponsible to allow people to think that something so dangerous is ok.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015),LoveLivesHere  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Ultimately, if you don't agree with it, then don't feed it to your kids.!

It not about liking it, it is about seeing it as dangerous.

When you see something dangerous you do everything in you power to educate people.[/QUOTE]

This is it. Luckily I have never known someone to loose a child through bad (or at the least uneducated) choices but SILs son got very ill on two occasions. Both different "fads". Both times she cried "I didnt know! Noone told me it was dangerous!"
    Some people are completely oblivious or niave and their uneducated choices can harm their children. So why wouldn't others try to help educate the impressionable to at least seek medical advice on said fad before going ahead with it?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RaraMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    This is it. Luckily I have never known someone to loose a child through bad (or at the least uneducated) choices but SILs son got very ill on two occasions. Both different "fads". Both times she cried "I didnt know! Noone told me it was dangerous!"
    Some people are completely oblivious or niave and their uneducated choices can harm their children. So why wouldn't others try to help educate the impressionable to at least seek medical advice on said fad before going ahead with it?[/QUOTE]

Growing up my best friend was take to hospital she would have died in only hours. Her mum finally woke up to the fact the diet her nutritionist had her daughter on was killing her. Sadly it has left her with life long disabilities all because her dad hated her eczema. She was 11 at the time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015),RaraMum  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am dumbfounded that anyone would consider feeding their baby bone broth as their only source of nutrition, are people really that suspicious of formula and why? All the research says that formula is a perfectly suitable substitute to breastmilk and this isn't just research that is funded by the formula companies like the conspiracy theories would have you believe. Yet there is no research what so ever that bone broth is a perfectly good substitute to formula.
    The rest of the 'diet' I think is pretty much a con, it just takes eating unprocessed foods made from scratch one step further (cut out dairy, grains etc as well) so that they can call it a diet and not simply just a healthy way of life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Qualified dietitians and doctors are the only people who should give dietary advice. It's crazy, as with ivf, diet, any health issue, people want to jump on fad, unproven bandwagons just because some fake tanned, bleached toothed, anorexic looking celeb does it! He's against fluoride in water, how did his teeth get so white? Cave men were dead by his age and if by some chance they out ran the saber tooth tiger, they probably only had one or two yellow teeth left in their heads by their 30's. We have evolved since neanderthal days, over millions of years and hence our digestive tract has evolved too. Why isn't he sporting all over body hair and walking with a hunched posture if he really wants to go cave man style? Boo hoo he'll never accept my friend request on Facebook now.

As someone with two science degrees, it dismays me to see people follow quacks rather than qualified medical professionals. Especially when they inflict this stuff on their children. As for nestle etc being in Dr's ears, the medical profession are not that stupid, Nestle does not devise or teach the medical degree. Doctors study for many years and have taken an oath to do no harm. The vast majority of them work very hard and care about people's health.
    There's no magic bullet, eat a balanced diet.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skyler For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-03-2015),kezanazz  (18-03-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (18-03-2015),moongazer  (23-03-2015),RaraMum  (18-03-2015),TableDancer  (18-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pete Evans and the Paleo Way for Mums, Babies and Toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    There have been a couple of formula scares so maybe they're afraid of that? I still wouldn't feed my baby bone broth no matter how many scares there were. I'd choose donor BM over that any day.
    Ah ok, were they in Australia (purely interested question)? Donor milk as much as possible seems like a much better option! With this bone broth is there risks of things like salmonella does anyone know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TableDancer View Post
    Ah ok, were they in Australia (purely interested question)? Donor milk as much as possible seems like a much better option! With this bone broth is there risks of things like salmonella does anyone know?
    No idea about salmonella but it's possible if proper food prep isn't carried out.

This is the China formula thing.