My 13 month old has generally been an ok sleeper.. Not great, but not horrible either. Previously has slept through most nights with the occasional night waking here and there - usually settled with pats.
He can put himself to sleep and has been able to since he was about 8 weeks old. However he seems to have lost the ability to self settle all of a sudden. He's needing either hubby or myself to be in the room with him till he falls asleep and wakes up 4-5 times during the night, obviously looking for us. On a good night he will settle back to sleep pretty easily. On a bad night, he can stay awake for 2-3 hours. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

We are so tired. I feel guilty because I'm needing hubby's help in the middle of the night and he needs to go to work each morning. I feel like I'm going to lose it and have a couple of times - smacking my 13 month old and yelling at him then feeling so guilty and terrible after.

Not sure why I'm posting really. Just needed to get it all out and hope that someone has some advise maybe. I'm so worried that we are creating a habit that will be hard to reverse in future. But I don't know what else to do...