+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Work clothes

Hi brains trust!

I will be returning to work soon, possibly very soon as I have applied for a promotion that would see me back in early April instead of mid may. Now... I have no idea what to wear! As I am hoping to return to a more senior role, I want to present myself in a more professional manner, but would be laughed out of the office if I turned up too corporate? I'm thinking nice black slacks and a blouse is probably the go. I am pear shape- probably a 12-14 top and a slowly reducing 16 bottom. Hit me with your flattering ideas! I used to rock up in jeans... Also I don't want to spend a lot because I am still losing weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nice black pants with a belt and a nice blouse is a perfect idea. It makes a good first impression and you can always go more casual after that if the feel of the workplace is more casual.
    I think a blouse tucked in to pants with a belt looks best, but only if you're comfortable with that. Otherwise a fitted blouse untucked that isn't too long would look smart too.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Explora For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree some nice pants and a nice shirt/blouse would be the way to go. I work in an office where nobody a suit etc and this is what I tend to wear most days.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The idea of having to dress for work gives me nightmares. I have been in hi vis for 20 years and if I had to work out what to wear I think I would have a panic attack. Good luck op. Wish I had some advice

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015),ScubaGal  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a bit of an overhaul when I returned to work after leave. I now wear either a black work skirt, or some sort of office-appropriate patterned knee-length skirt, with a nice top and either ballet flats or heel boots and put makeup on and do something nice to my hair. Big difference to the days I used to wear thongs and jeans to work! No-one has commented negatively about my "new look"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My work staples are two pairs of tailored pants in black and gunmetal grey. I wear these with collared blouses or silky shell tops in patterned fabrics. Usually paired with medium-height heels, but sometimes higher or even a nice pair of flats.

I find this is a good balance between really corporate or casual.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @CakeyMumma the staple in my sector seems to be about getting the accessories right - at least for women in senior roles.

Think plain skirt/pants and blazer, fitted top singlet or sleeved and then either statement beads or statement scarf. This is nice and simple because the basics can be repeated and you just mix up the beads/scarf.

Above a certain senior pay grade it then crosses over into the zany/eclectic with women CEOs having shorter, punk haircuts, some with bright non natural colours and pretty out there clothes..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015),lilypily  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Think plain skirt/pants and blazer, fitted top singlet or sleeved and then either statement beads or statement scarf. This is nice and simple because the basics can be repeated and you just mix up the beads/scarf.
    I agree about the statement beads/scarf. While I rarely do a blazer (don't need to be that dressed up at my work), in winter I tend to do the plain coloured tops/knits - can be bright colours (I have a rainbow selection ) which I wear with a statement scarf. I have accumulated a heap of scarves over time that mix and match with various different coloured tops. And there's so many different ways you can tie a scarf to make it look different. YouTube is the "go to" place to find scarf tying instructions.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (17-03-2015)