+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default One year old doesn't drink

Apologies, I am not sure which thread to post this in.

My near 1 year old refuses to drink. She has tiny breast feeds, so small that I am not sure that it is worth continuing them anymore. However, I have not been able to get her to drink much else. She has never been able to drink from a bottle, will only take a couple of sips of water from a sippy cup each day, and, will only have a single sip from an open-topped cup if I offer it to her. I have tried multiple bottles, sippy cups, and open-topped cups, as well as formula and cows milk. I have flavoured cows milk with milo, vanilla essence, and Nesquick strawberry, and fresh banana. She won't suck on icy-poles/pedialyte icypoles. After eating, she will have a few sips of milo flavoured milk or vanilla milk from a spoon.

My daughter gets her calcium intake from yoghurt and milk on her breakfast cereal. I am more concerned about keeping her hydrated, than I am about her calcium intake.

This has been a long-term problem. I posted a thread once before about her not drinking. Health professionals have been unconcerned, as she is not constipated (though she was for a month when a bit younger). Her nappies are wet a few times a day, but there is very little urine.

I think that her refusal to drink much is uncommon, as I haven't been able to get any advice or further understanding from medical professionals.

I am wondering if there are any parents on Bubhub that have experienced this with one of their bubs. What did you do to keep your bub hydrated? Did he/she ever end up starting to drink? Did you find out any reason for why your bub didn't want to drink? Were there any medical professionals that were able to help you.
    Last edited by Puzzled; 16-03-2015 at 12:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok what I'm going to post will probably be very controversial as I was shocked recently when I posted in a thread about cordial about how anti cordial people are. My ds is the same, no matter how hard we tried with water in all diff cups, bottles etc he would only ever take a couple of sips then spit it straight out. I still give him quite a lot of fruit purées as I hope the extra water will help but he often can get constipated through lack of drinking. When we moved to Australia in January he came down with a bad virus and point blank refused food or water for 3 days. We ended up visiting the hospital and they just advised to keep trying to encourage drinking and trying juice. Up to this point I was avoiding juice thinking he would eventually grow to like water. We tried fresh fruit juices and he didn't like them but one day tried dilute sugar free cordial and he loves it.

Now I know it's probably a habit now but I would much rather he drink about 100mls of dilute cordial a day than nothing at all and being at risk of constipation, urinary infections etc.

I don't think your little one is unusual, I agree that most babies I know drink gallons but mine doesn't and there are others the same. Keep trying different cups, often the novelty of drinking from our water bottles is enough to make our son try water even if he does spit it straight out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way my ds is 16 months now and we only starting cordial couple months ago. So before that we tried about 10 months of persevering with water but he still hated it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi nh2489,

Thank you for your reply It makes me feel less alone to know that there are other bubs like mine.

I will keep trying with vanilla milk and milo at the moment I think, and then maybe try cordial in a month or two if she doesn't start to drink more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Puzzled For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another that uses the no sugar added type and my girls love it (it's watered down well and we steer clear of red, I think the colour in that one gave my eldest a reaction). My girls are fine with it, and it ads very few calories (only the diet varieties though). It would be worth a shot

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter hardly drinks or eats. Yet somehow survives.
    At 12 months I would have been lucky to get her drink 20mls of water a day!
    But I just kept offering and persevered.
    Now she still drinks limited amounts and there are days when she'll barely have 50-100mls of any liquid per day.
    I would continue offering... Make it always available. Give her time.
    I know it's worrying but it would take a lot for dehydration to happen. I add a bit of water to purees like fruit etc.
    And sometimes she will drink a smoothie with coconut water in it too. On rare occasions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another alternative to cordial is pure fruit juice diluted with water. This is what I give my kids at brekkie and dinner time, then push water only during the day. My daughter drinks loads but my son I have to keep asking him. I can pick him up from kindy and his drink bottle still looks full! And no they haven't refilled it so I've now asked them to be aware of this and please encourage him to drink. It drives me insane!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I worked with a kid like this, so I used to give him watermelon if he refused to drink.
    It was water or watermelon, and he wasn't allowed to do anything else until he had one or the other (say 50mls water, or 2 slices of watermelon).
    I did this about 3 times a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very thankful to hear of other bubs like mine and others' experiences. Thank you for sharing. I will keep coming back to this thread to remind myself that there other bubs like mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tantam, My daughter sounds most like your daughter - I don't know whether my bub would even drink 20ml per day. How old is your little girl now? How did you cope? I worry so much

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    My daughter hardly drinks or eats. Yet somehow survives.
    At 12 months I would have been lucky to get her drink 20mls of water a day!
    But I just kept offering and persevered.
    Now she still drinks limited amounts and there are days when she'll barely have 50-100mls of any liquid per day.
    I would continue offering... Make it always available. Give her time.
    I know it's worrying but it would take a lot for dehydration to happen. I add a bit of water to purees like fruit etc.
    And sometimes she will drink a smoothie with coconut water in it too. On rare occasions.