+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How did you decide on a primary school for your ASD child?

Just wondering how others went about deciding which school to send their ASD child to?

I really need to start finding out about all this in my local area. We've only lived here a year and a half and don't really know who to ask about this.

We hope to send DS to main****** schooling in 2017.

I am quite happy to send DS to a good public school, but I wonder if some private schools would cater better to his needs?

When I start looking into my options, what sort of things should I be wanting or looking for when choosing a school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. DD is hopefully starting the assessment process next term with an ASD diagnosis one possibility. She will be starting school in 2016.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go to your local public school and ask to speak to someone that can help you with enrolment

They will either help you directly or give you the details of someone that handles enrolments for the area - they will advise you whether you need to go for a school readiness type of assessment (with a psychologist or paediatrician etc). The assessment will tell you what level of needs your child has and then they can start looking into which school is best

This is how we got into our school in NSW - it's a SSP (school for specific purposes) which is for mild to severe intellectual disabilities. There's a few kids with Autism in my dd's class
    We had help from the primary school's counsellor, went back to the kids hospital where we got our diagnosis (Rett Syndrome) and had an assessment there. Then put in our interest in the SSP. The assessment was in March, application finally went in around September and we were told we were in by December.

Hope that helped x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh in NSW there's a few options for school - public, public with a support class and then public SSP. then also private and independent schools. I have no idea about private & independent

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I wrote you a long reply and lost it, so in summary:

We started with main******. There is no support, it was an awful environment mostly because of the principal and their attitude. I complained alot to the education department, pretty much demanded support by the end of it or a placement in a more suitable school. We got the placement in an autism class. It's a much better environment, only problem is it's temporary.

You could start the process by talking to the learning and engagement officer from the education department for your area if you think your DS might need/benefit from a support placement. You could also query funding in main****** as the school constantly told me there was none but this was contrary to what the education department told me.

Catholic schools, in general are much better equipped to deal with ASD kids, so depending on your religious views may be an option?

There is also the ASPECT school at Thornton. There is an application process and costs about $5k/year from memory. I think they work with view to integrate back into main****** too?

Good luck with it, i hope your experience is better than the one i've had so far.
    Last edited by HarvestMoon; 16-03-2015 at 14:54.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (18-03-2015)