+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,668
    Thanks
    1,041
    Thanked
    876
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Boosting immunity

    Ok, so my family have had a crappy run health wise over the last couple of months. It's literally been one illness after the other. DS has gastro now, DH might have too, and it's just really getting me down. We're usually so healthy!

    Hit me with your top immunity boosting tips please! TIA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    437
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bone broth - like chicken stock but home made.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,465
    Thanks
    3,185
    Thanked
    6,486
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Apart from lots of fresh fruit and veggies ( I put garlic, ginger and herbs in just about everything!) we take fish oil ( omegas and vitamin D ) and a probiotic ( for gut health) and yes as pp said whenever everyone around us is sick I always do a big batch of chicken soup and we all have a teaspoon of manuka honey

    Plantain tea I'll have to try! I drink Roobios and lemon myrtle tea

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks
    203
    Thanked
    428
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go out and play in the dirt and mud. Get a dog or a cat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,465
    Thanks
    3,185
    Thanked
    6,486
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Go out and play in the dirt and mud. Get a dog or a cat.
    So true! DS wrestles our 50kg mastiff daily - maybe that's why he never gets sick!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    loislane2010  (15-03-2015)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Go out and play in the dirt and mud. Get a dog or a cat.
    Seriously?? I have a dog. .. doesn't help my DD.

    honestly OP. .. I don't think you can technically boost your immunity. Some people are just more prone to catching things.
    If you have a lower immune system and you play in the dirt it's not going to help.
    My daughter is catching some virus nearly all the time. ..I think building immunity is a myth. Playing in the dirt isn't going to build immunity. Why would it? It's dirt?
    On the off chance you can I bought that kids inner health plus immune booster for DD. plus trying to eat healthy and exercise. Get out in the fresh air. Turn off air conditioning and heaters. Etc etc.
    Sorry you are getting sick all the time. It sucks.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,789
    Thanks
    2,011
    Thanked
    2,671
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Bone broth - like chicken stock but home made.
    Is that all bone broth is? I seriously thought it had some magic ingredient that I didn't know about.

    Lots of fresh air and exposure to mild germs and dirt to allow you to build immunity.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,125
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked
    368
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Boosting immunity

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Seriously?? I have a dog. .. doesn't help my DD.

    honestly OP. .. I don't think you can technically boost your immunity. Some people are just more prone to catching things.
    If you have a lower immune system and you play in the dirt it's not going to help.
    My daughter is catching some virus nearly all the time. ..I think building immunity is a myth. Playing in the dirt isn't going to build immunity. Why would it? It's dirt?
    On the off chance you can I bought that kids inner health plus immune booster for DD. plus trying to eat healthy and exercise. Get out in the fresh air. Turn off air conditioning and heaters. Etc etc.
    Sorry you are getting sick all the time. It sucks.
    There's been tons of studies to prove that playing in the dirt and exposure to animals reduces risks of allergies, asthma and skin disorders, auto immune disorders and generally boosts the immune system. It's the exposure to bacteria and micro organisms!

    My DS has eaten/played in dirt, dog poo (when I'm not looking I don't encourage him to play with it lol), kisses the dogs and cat you name it since he could crawl, i wash his hands before eating only, have never used hand sanitiser or anything like that. He gets a cold once a year maybe and it's usually mild, has no allergies or anything wrong whatsoever, completely healthy!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    There's been tons of studies to prove that playing in the dirt and exposure to animals reduces risks of allergies, asthma and skin disorders, auto immune disorders and generally boosts the immune system. It's the exposure to bacteria and micro organisms!

    My DS has eaten/played in dirt, dog poo (when I'm not looking I don't encourage him to play with it lol), kisses the dogs and cat you name it since he could crawl, i wash his hands before eating only, have never used hand sanitiser or anything like that. He gets a cold once a year maybe and it's usually mild, has no allergies or anything wrong whatsoever, completely healthy!
    I hear you. I'm no scientist. So I'm just saying it anecdotally.

    But I have the opposite. DD plays with dog. ..kisses the dog too... plays outside etc etc. All the things you mentioned.
    Makes no difference. Still gets sick all the time.
    Yep she's has some medical issues but playing with all that hasn't made a ounce of difference. Plus I know her blood work is good and she has no deficiencies.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,125
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked
    368
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I hear you. I'm no scientist. So I'm just saying it anecdotally.

    But I have the opposite. DD plays with dog. ..kisses the dog too... plays outside etc etc. All the things you mentioned.
    Makes no difference. Still gets sick all the time.
    Yep she's has some medical issues but playing with all that hasn't made a ounce of difference. Plus I know her blood work is good and she has no deficiencies.
    Oh that's sucky for your DD yes I do agree what works for one person might not work for others.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

    Tamtam  (15-03-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Herd Immunity: Fact or fiction?
    By MilkingMaid in forum Debate It
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 22-08-2014, 18:21
  2. Advice on boosting immunity for daycare...
    By OS&N in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-05-2014, 06:48
  3. Boosting supply for building milk stash.
    By dee1 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 22:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Be In Blossom
Keen to up the intensity of your exercise after having your baby but unsure how? New physio-led Bootcamp Workshops aim to bridge the gap between low and high intensity training, teaching ways to reduce pelvic floor load in gym and bootcamp settings.
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!