+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 month old sleep help!!

My nearly 8 month old DS used to be a great sleep he would be asleep by 5:30/6 and sleep through till 6am with maybe one wake up during the night every so often, the problem I've been having for the past few weeks is that he is now so hard to get to sleep although he is tired he pushes himself until he can't stay awake and also waking more then 3 times a mighty sometimes he will stay awake for 2 hours!!! He wakes himself up by rolling on to his belly sleeping for a while like that then sits up in his sleep! I need help with his sleep it's getting frustrating because he is so tired and not sleeping and waking himself up. He is also super fussy lately

He has 2 bottom teeth the top 4 are coming down he's just learnt the master of crawling and pulling up on the cot,
    Maybe he is teething, going through developmental milestones and growth spurt ?

How do I help him fall asleep easier and earlier at night and can I also help him not wake himself up during the night by sitting up??!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS has just been through this. It's a lot better now. I would say a combination of teething and hitting milestones.

We didn't really do anything different just tried to get him down at the same time but if he didn't want to sleep that was fine I let him have some quiet play until he was ready for bed. A lot less stressful for everyone that way.

This too shall pass

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (14-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    My DS has just been through this. It's a lot better now. I would say a combination of teething and hitting milestones.

We didn't really do anything different just tried to get him down at the same time but if he didn't want to sleep that was fine I let him have some quiet play until he was ready for bed. A lot less stressful for everyone that way.

This too shall pass
    Oh that's greAt to hear, it definitely is taking its toll he's allot tireder lately.

How long did it last for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 8 month old sleep help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clyon View Post
    Oh that's greAt to hear, it definitely is taking its toll he's allot tireder lately.

How long did it last for you
    It wasn't the kind of thing where he suddenly went back to normal. It's been gradual and he's almost 10 months. Of course we have our nights especially as his top 4 teeth are days away from cutting through but it's so so much better than before. Just try to stick to your routine if you have one and try not to start any negative sleep associations. We are trying to break the cycle of him coming into our bed during the night and getting him to sleep through again as when he was waking up we were too exhausted to bother and just brought him in with us

For a while I would take him for a long walk in the morning as he falls asleep in the pram and he would get at least an hours sleep. I found if he could get a good sleep in the morning then we would be okay for the rest of the day

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What are bubs day naps like? Could bub be having too much day sleep?

How is solid intake?

What is the temp in bubs room. At bedtime and when bub wakes? What bedding does bub have?

How does bub fall asleep? With an aid such as bottle/dummy/patting?

What do you do when bub stirs?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What are bubs day naps like? Could bub be having too much day sleep?

How is solid intake?

What is the temp in bubs room. At bedtime and when bub wakes? What bedding does bub have?

How does bub fall asleep? With an aid such as bottle/dummy/patting?

What do you do when bub stirs?
    His day naps used to be great 2 2 hours naps an 1 half hour nap but now it's a push to get him to take 2 1 hours naps, with him waking at night I really don't think he's getting to much I would say he's not getting enough.

He started on solids at 5 months he wasn't too interested in the food and still isn't really, some days he'll have X3 meals a day and others I can only get 2 spoonfuls in.. He's just started to try finger foods (sensitive gag reflex) like ham, egg, cheese. I really would like him to eat more at least before bed but that's the hardest time to get him to eat.

When he goes to bed his room is 29-30 when he wakes up its usually between 22-26. he has a thin cotton fitted sheet on his bed and that's it's I have him a summer onesie and then put him in a sleep sack.

I feed him till he is nearly asleep and then put him in bed and pat to sleep, when he wakes during the night I just feed to sleep.. I try lie him on his side and pat when he wakes up and cries but it doesn't work he will scream at the top of his lungs for b**b so I feed him to sleep

Sorry long reply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What time are the day naps?

My first thought is feeding to near sleep and then finishing it off with patting is a problem. You have become your babies sleep aid which is hindering bubs ability to self settle. When bub stirs through the night in a semi conscious state bub thinks "what the! Where's my boob/botttle? Why aren't I being patted?"

Have 20 minutes 'active' play (books, crawling, playing with toys) between the last milk feed and bed. Introduce a comforter and use it at every sleep and only sleep time. Stop patting to sleep. Either leave bub in the cot cold turkey (unless bub is crying an emotional cry then attend). Or slowly wean back on the patting (start by patting to drowsy not asleep).

Solids is probably also playing a part. Could you see a MACH nurse to help improve solid intake? How many milk feeds is bub having? Too many (including overnight ones) can hinder solid intake. Until solids improves I think you are going to have a restless bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    VP clear out your inbox!

Sorry to derail OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    VP clear out your inbox!

Sorry to derail OP.
    Done!