+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Are you allowed to take a bottle (of milk) on the plane these days? Domestic flight.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/plannin...-kids/on-board

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think everyone has different priorities in life. If you are a party animal, perhaps you would regret it if you felt that having kids had stopped you from having the real party overseas experience (think Contiki...). But if you want to travel to experience the world, see new places, try different foods or learn about other cultures then who's to say you can't do that with kids? Yes, it would be more expensive and you'd have to take more stuff, but it could be an amazing opportunity for your kids too - plus some beautiful family memories.

If you don't really have the travel bug at the moment but you do want to start a family, why wait? There will always be a reason NOT to have kids (wanting to travel first, or buy a house, or get a better job, or have more money, or live closer to family, or whatever) so I think sometimes you have to just bite the bullet and do what your gut says, even if the timing isn't perfect.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElleDee For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (16-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just slightly younger than you and TTC. We haven't done a lot of travelling only a few short trips to SE Asia. We've been engaged for quite a few years and I really wanted to get married first but due to cost that's not going to happen anytime soon, so my fiancé finally convinced me to TTC first as he wants to have kids in our 20s. I now wish we started earlier! Waited until we came back from last trip as that was partly a party holiday, stopped taking the Pill in June and still trying

Fiancé isn't interested in travel but I am a bit, I'm hoping to be able to go on a trip with a friend either between babies or once my last is old enough for me to leave for a few weeks. Probably totally wishful thinking! But other than that I figure we'll travel together as a family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Are you allowed to take a bottle (of milk) on the plane these days? Domestic flight.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    When we flew to the states we were allowed to take quite a bit of 'fluid' in regards to baby care (bottles, medicine). They just pulled us to the side at security and put everything in these new high tech devices, plus dipping strips in the fluid, to test for explosives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lennon,
    We have been having the same discussion, DH and I have been married for nearly 3 years (together for 8) own our own home, we have done two European trips and I feel like we have done a lot of travel, a few smaller trips in between, Fiji, Hawaii. I am currently 26 and strangely still feel to young to be a mother. But I do want to have my babies in my twenties and not wait till it's to late...., as my sister has bad PCOS, I am little worried I might have some problems... I want my family to be young enough to enjoy my babies as well.
    To wait or not to wait?
    Any thoughts on having babies in mid twenties?
    TO try or not to try that is the question?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Deciding to start a family... when?!

Just on the expenses front. Traveling with a younger child (ie not have to buy a ticket for) isn't that expensive. Air BnB is great for finding accommodation that is much cheaper than hotels and you end up with a separate bedroom and proper kitchen so you don't have to eat out every meal and can put bub to sleep when needed while you enjoy whatever yummy food and drinks you've brought back. We've had great luck with it since having DS and I've actually preferred our choices over whatever hostel or hotel we've stayed in in the past.

I'm sure any trip you plan pre-children will be more spontaneous but I doubt it will be on a Contiki level, be thankful that you missed that boat 😜.

ETA: please nobody take offense to my Contiki joke. Although we haven't done Contiki we've done a few equivalents. We did PP travel more than once ('party professionals') and while yes I had a great time and could have cared less about camping out in the rain outside of Oktoberfest I was 22 so my standards were fairly low. I highly doubt a 27 or 30 year old is going to want to hop on a tour bus with randy, drunk 20 year olds. ☺️
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-03-2015 at 16:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ess View Post
    We've been engaged for quite a few years and I really wanted to get married first but due to cost that's not going to happen anytime soon, so my fiancé finally convinced me to TTC first as he wants to have kids in our 20s.
    If getting married is really a priority for you then do it without the trimmings - it can be a hell of a lot cheaper than having a kid... You can have both if you have a budget wedding

Fingers crossed you will fall preggers soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can I just say having kids doesn't limit your chance to travel as such. My Nanna never travelled when she was younger as my pop never wanted to. He didn't even want to travel within australia, let alone the world. When they separated, Nanna would've been in her early 60s and that's when she travelled. She and one of her best friends travelled all though Europe. They were gone for about 3 months. She's got so many photo albums of all their travel photos. She's gone OS a few more times since and has certainly seen more of australia since then as well. Don't think you have to do all your travel when you're young. As a PP said, the world will still be there when you decide to go but your experiences just might be different to that of a 20yo backpacker. Doesn't mean it's any better or worse.

FWIW I'm 30 and have been struggling with fertility for almost 2 years. I want at least 3 kids, but at this rate I'll be lucky to just have 1. If your want for kids is higher than your want to travel now or vice versa, there's your answer. DH and I still talk about seeing the world. We are talking holidays that we can do with kids of varying ages because while we want to travel, our priority is having babies.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

bella25  (17-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm kind of shocked that it almost seems like having kids in your late 20s is seen as being old and that people could then have fertility issues etc. Some people don't find the right person to settle down with until their mid twenties and I don't see anything wrong with having kids in your late 20s or even later. Some will have fertility issues and may have also had them should they have started early and some won't. My cousin didn't meet her husband until her late 30s. She chose to wait for Mr Right and they married. Three months later later she announced her pregnancy and now has a beautiful 1 year old. There are happy ending and positive stories but often our own experiences make us think others will also struggle or regret waiting. For all I know I may struggle and not conceive for a while but at the same time I would rather have waited until I was ready and have it take a bit of time then to have done it earlier to perhaps reduce the wait but not have been completely ready for motherhood. Just my thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 28, been with SO who's 30 for 10 years. We are in no hurry. Our main priority now it to get the mortgage down as much as possible. We're very far ahead and also have an investment property. Right now, if we were intending on paying our entire home loan (the house we live in), it would be done in about 5 years. We've only travelled to Queensland and Thailand. I used to be big on the whole travel thing...then I tried it and to be honest...to me it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But i spent 12 whole days in Phuket only. Was bloody over it by the end.

I would like to try the travel thing again before we start a family, but somewhere better suited to me and for less time. I get homesick.

Back to the money thing...the way i see it, the lower the mortgage, the less stress. A lot of people say not to worry for the home loan and have kids, but i just don't agree with that mindset (for me anyway). Money is very important and if you can get ahead in life before kiddos it's definitely a good thing. You never know what could happen.