Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    We do this every year! Love it

However it's only our other friends with kids who are keen to join. Others would rather do something a little more "dynamic".

We just came back from Japan with our 2yo. Lovely trip and can't wait to go back again!
    But we missed out on all the tiny eateries as you couldn't take a young kid in there. Had to stick to bigger places which was a little disappointing.
    We'll do the small eateries once DS is over 12yo though! :-D
    @Cue Also, 1 in 6 couples?! That's heaps. Could you share this statistic in MP (don't want to derail the thread too much)
    So true! We actually invited childless friends away with us and the comment was that her DH wasn't ready to stay in a house with kids, that it was like his worse nightmare. But we only have a couple of friends without kids so it hasn't really been an issue. I guess that's one thing about having kids a little 'early,' you may be the first of your friends and they don't always 'get it.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Just thought I'd add that although some families manage to travel with kids, ours doesn't.

It's a complete nightmare! DS does not cope with planes, changed timetables or being contained and we don't cope with him not coping. Travelling with him as a baby was awful and a toddler even worse. DH and I decided last year, after my Byron bay with DS experience, that any kind of travel beyond a couple of hours in the car was off our radar for at least 5 years. I'm pregnant again now so I'm guessing we'll be looking more like 8+ years.

It's just a reason I guess I'm happy with pre kids travel. We are planning lots of post kids travel still and hoping to get in some family trips when they're older but baby/toddler travel doesn't work for all families.
    I totally get that. The first time we had to fly with him my anxiety about him being unsettle was freaking me out. But in our case we don't have a choice, if we want to see family we have to just suck it up and go. Luckily he's done really well so far but I'll let you know after next Saturday what flying back to Australia with a 'proper' toddler is like! 😖😩

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Deciding to start a family... when?!

I'm part of a large french community here in Melbourne and we are all used to travel for over 20hrs flights with young kids.

The general consensus is that from 2 to 3yo is the worst time to fly. They are two young to understand why they need to stay sited for so long and also too young to "concentrate" on a movie.

It depends on you kid though. With DS it was hell around 12mo as all he wanted to do was walk and crawl everywhere. Now he is 2yo and he can spend hours watching Pepa Pig (it's rather concerning actually!).
    He loves having his own seat and a 10hrs flight with him is super easy.
    @J37 Id bring your toddler favorite toys, drawing pens and paper, an IPad loaded with games, TV shows and family photos. Also bring his favorite finger food!
    IMO all rules go out the window when on a plane. As an adult I never eat as much food or watch as many movies as on a plane and same goes with my kids ;-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

J37  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read the whole post, but going by the original post, let me just say that DH and I started TTC at age 25, and found out we had fertility issues. We conceived 3 years later, but had we waited until our 30s, our chances of conceiving naturally would have been almost non-existent because my disease would have gotten worse without me even knowing I had it, and left untreated, would have taken my fertility with it. Even if you choose not to TTC now, it might be worth just getting a general health check to see where your fertility's at before making the decision to wait...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    I married at 21 after being with my.dh for 2.5y. I was 21 with ds and 23 with dd and now at 25 I m expecting our third. I was 18 when I moved to Au fron europe but I habe never been to another country in europe except from my country of.origin amd never saw much of my own country either. Last year we went to europe-paris, rome and my hometown with kids who were 3y and 18m at the time. I would like another child before I m 28 and plan to travel in my mid 40s. For now we are paying off the house and the building we bought amd.plan to open a business in it. We figure its best to take these risks while young. I dont have a big travel bug. I like being comfortable so nice places suit me best. It can all wait and we loved.travelling with kids. They were awesome and we have amazing memories. Also went to gold coast with kids and it was great and relaxing. I always wanted to start family young as I m fit now and can cope with night waking lol In my thirties I want to advance my carrier, pay off debt, get in shape and enjoy my sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    We do this every year! Love it

However it's only our other friends with kids who are keen to join. Others would rather do something a little more "dynamic".

We just came back from Japan with our 2yo. Lovely trip and can't wait to go back again!
    But we missed out on all the tiny eateries as you couldn't take a young kid in there. Had to stick to bigger places which was a little disappointing.
    We'll do the small eateries once DS is over 12yo though! :-D
    @Cue Also, 1 in 6 couples?! That's heaps. Could you share this statistic in MP (don't want to derail the thread too much)
    @ExcuseMyFrench - this is a basic summary that references the stats I quoted.
    http://www.abc.net.au/health/library...30/1919840.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Deciding to start a family... when?!

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I really want to take my kids up to Caloundra this year (from Melbourne), to see my Grandma (their Great-Grandma). We usually stay 2 weeks, and I love it! Hubby stays home for work (bless him).

When I took them up last year, Lucy was 13 months, and sat on my lap, and was absolutely fine. Oscar was 4, and was entertained with the help of technology!

Lucy will be 2 years 1 month when I plan to fly up again. So, we will have to pay for her own seat, and I just cannot envisage her staying in it!! Aeroplane seats are not designed to restrain toddlers.

So, I'd LOVE some ideas from seasoned-travellers like HollyG and EMF, on flying with toddlers?? It's only 2 hours, but I would like to avoid 2 hours of tantrums if I can! (And answers may help the OP in her deliberations).

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Sorry, just saw this! It's Mother's Day here so I've been half heartedly reading and replying! DS has only just turned 1 so I'll be experiencing traveling with a toddler next week and will PM you more tips when we arrive in melbourne! But, I've stocked up on 'lift the flap' books (which he LOVES!) some kiddy headphones where the volume is controlled and I've uploaded a few of the 'tiny' series apps where it's basically just touching and watching what everything does. I uploaded the airport and farm one. Going to pack loads of food. And drugs. On the way to the states in November, so he was 9 months, he mostly just looked around and sat up in the bassinet and pressed all the buttons on the tv screen (it was touch screen). He usually doesn't sleep well outside of his cot but he had a couple powernaps which made the trip bearable and he tolerated being tired really well. But he's the type of baby that loves to people watch so it was kind of his type of heaven. He also wasn't moving yet. I totally anticipate this trip being different because he's moving, but at the same time he's wearing himself out faster and doing unheard of things like falling asleep in the car so it may end up being ok.

We flew to the states a couple
    months after a torturous trip to the Cotswolds where he wouldn't nap and was loosing the plot by the time we got home, I totally wanted to cancel flying to the states after that, I was traumatized! But he surprised me ☺️.

I think in the end it really comes down to just the type of person and parent you are. If he regularly lost the plot like he did after the Cotswolds and didn't handle traveling well I probably wouldn't be that keen to keep doing it if we had the choice (ie lived in the same country as at least one of our families). We have friends who have really full on kids, not easy to fly with at all, and they live in Australia and are both Australian so don't 'have' to travel but still choose to as they'd rather put up with a couple days of hell and do what they want which is totally fine if that's the type of person you are.

In the end I think at 27 there's no real 'wrong' answer. It's really just down to whatever your personal desires and priorities are. The fact that you haven't travelled much outside of NZ and OZ yet makes me think it's just not that big of an issue for you (which is totally fine) so I think having a baby may not be a 'regret' for you. But I think maybe planning a few weeks in Europe and deciding then or after when to have a baby is a great idea. You'll get a taste and have a better idea of what you want then.

Eta: I just read how much travel you've done around OZ and NZ and I would count that as you've 'travelled' it's more a question of if you want to do more or not, and with your husband, not a question of missing out.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-03-2015 at 06:12.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

J37  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    . I remember by Nanna pulling out photos of her overseas travels before she married and telling stories. I remember being so proud of her ambition and experiences. She was an awsome female role model.
    I was just thinking of this sentence, remembering my grandma and how right you are with this statement. I kept remembering a specific picture of her, about 26, riding in the sidecar of my grandpa's motorcycle as they travelled through Germany and how awesome that must have been.

Then I remembered that my grandpa is actually my 'step' grandpa, my dad's birth father died when he was two. My grandparents were parents in that photo, my dad would have been 5 or 6 years old then. 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    On the grandma side of things. My kids never got to meet one of their grandma's. She died only days before I fall pregnant. I would give up travel anywhere if only they could have met her.

I travel 4 hours on a plane every few months since my youngest was born. I fly with just my self and him. I take a few toys, a I pad, lots of snacks and colour ins etc... lollipops/something to keep them sucking/chewing swalling are absolutely nesscary to stop their ears for hurting on take off and landing.

We have been blessed and never had a tantrum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you allowed to take a bottle (of milk) on the plane these days? Domestic flight.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app