+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    Agree with babyla above, When we took DS (2.5) on a plane for the first time it was a special sort of hell. Climbing over seats, screaming when buckled in, trying to run up and down aisles. He is usually a good boy but does not like being contained for too long, thank god the flight was only 2 hours. We will not take him on a plane unless necessary until he and all future kids are at least 4-5 and can be entertained with iPads and books etc.
    Lol at "special kind of hell" it almost flipping broke me my 2 hour flight with DS. My nerves were frayed. Severely!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My advice is travel!!!

We had/have fertility issues and knew we would. Before embarking on trying for a baby my DH and I decided to travel/see everything we wanted before trying, come off pill on our final holiday and then get help afterwards. It was the best decision we ever made. We went o/s every year from the age of 20-26 (we met young).

During all the hardship and heartache of infertility, we had amazing memories to think back on, and amazing things to look forward to that involved just the two of us without needing children.

We have been blessed with 2 beautiful kids since then but at the core of everything is our strong relationship and travelling together is largely what gave us our strength.

So I say go for it. Hopefully there will be no issues for you ttc but if are at least you will have each other and your beautiful memories to draw on as strength!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really want to take my kids up to Caloundra this year (from Melbourne), to see my Grandma (their Great-Grandma). We usually stay 2 weeks, and I love it! Hubby stays home for work (bless him).

When I took them up last year, Lucy was 13 months, and sat on my lap, and was absolutely fine. Oscar was 4, and was entertained with the help of technology!

Lucy will be 2 years 1 month when I plan to fly up again. So, we will have to pay for her own seat, and I just cannot envisage her staying in it!! Aeroplane seats are not designed to restrain toddlers.

So, I'd LOVE some ideas from seasoned-travellers like HollyG and EMF, on flying with toddlers?? It's only 2 hours, but I would like to avoid 2 hours of tantrums if I can! (And answers may help the OP in her deliberations).

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP try not to panic about your fertility and chances of conceiving until you have seen a doctor you are still young and whilst we are quoting statistics I came across this one:

More than one per cent of births in Australia involve the use of assisted reproductive technologies.

I thought it would have been more than one percent reading some things that I have but it can't be much more otherwise they would have said more than two percent etc.

Just food for thought.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (15-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on the end of if you have the burning desire to travel, to the extent you think you'd both be disappointed if you hadn't travelled before having kids, then travel! It just honestly depends on you and you DH!

Personally, my husband and myself are both 30, have been together almost 13 years, married 6 and have a 5 year old - I was 24 when I fell pregnant with her (with the help of Clomid), but TTC #2 is where I met problems. You can't tell what your fertility has in store for you. The process of TTC #2 for me involved miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies - losing both tubes and now IVF. Along the way I also discovered auto immune issues that developed between my DD and trying again.
    I am almost 6 weeks pregnant now through an IVF cycle thankfully.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, you never know what curve ball life is going to throw at you. I personally wouldn't put off what is closest to your heart, albeit travel or babies.

The world will always be there.
    My DH and I had only been to Bali before having kids. DH doesn't have a burning desire to travel and while I would like to see certain cities, I'm glad I didn't put off a family longer than I have.
    My DD is 5 and has been places in Australia and has been to Fiji 4 times. Having kids doesn't necessarily mean you can't travel if you want to.
    Fiji is our little holiday place & the fact we can share the memories with her is amazing. When kids are older we will probably do longer stretches overseas, but for now Fiji is perfect for us and we will continue taking our kids there.

Either way you have to make the decision that's best for you and your DH & that will make you both happy. This is just my opinion & I wish you all the best!! xx

As for another poster who asked for tips flying with little ones. I have no real advice other than having plenty of things to entertain them with, a couple of lollipops or chewy lollies to help little ears on take off and landing, Panadol or Nurofen just in case their ears do play up as this is the main reason they cry.
    I always take colouring in books, crayons, iPad, headphones, blanket and a toy in case they sleep, just recently card games - such as princess snap and go fish. She's also that bit older that she will sit and watch a movie so usually my MacBook and some DVD's (which we take o/s anyway).
    The first time I flew with her she was 8 months, then 2, 3 & 4. I've always been really lucky (touch wood) that I've had no real problems.
    Hope this helps! xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy85 For This Useful Post:

J37  (15-03-2015)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I havent read any of the responses...

For the love of god travel first!!!!!!

One of my biggest regrets was not living before i had kids.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (15-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    OP in short forget you've read any of what any of us have said or what you read online question is do you want to travel? On a scale of 1 to 10 how desperate are you to travel! If it's between say 7 and 10, then travel it's harder and not as relaxing and spontaneous with kids.

If you have never really wanted to travel, you aren't going to have kids and all of a sudden think **** I wish I went to Europe / USA /Asia wherever.

If you're 27 you aren't too young to have kids, yes many people wait until their 30s but one thing people I don't think have mentioned yet is that having kids is harder when you're older, you don't have the same energy you do when you're younger.

When you were say 23 what was your life plan? What stopped you from travelling then? If nothing, then travel doesn't seem important enough for it to even factor in your plans to have kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Travel!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone! For those who asked, DH and I are both 27

I did travel when I was younger - lots! I spent a whole year backpacking around Australia (alone) and another 6 months backpacking around New Zealand (with DH before we were married). I just didn't go any further than Australia/NZ. The reason I had to stop after 1.5 years of traveling Australia and NZ was that I was running out of money and needed to settle down and get a job! :P

So I definitely did the whole travel thing in my mid-twenties, and at that time I chose to see Australia and New Zealand because I felt the desire to explore my own country first, but now I'm worried that I haven't seen enough of the world before we have kids, or that I will regret not seeing other places of the world. But I think I would also regret putting off kids until my 30s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have babies- the older you get the harder it can be and if you already have problems you dont know about its better to find out sooner so you have more time to get help. Travel later- world will always be there to experience and maybe you can take your children.
    This is what I chose anyway I had my first at 22 and am now preg with my third at 28 and we are in a stable financial situation and plan to experience the world when our children are older and when they have grown up plus I wanna be an active Nanna lol