+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would travel first, then TTC.
    I definitely wouldn't discount travelling after having a baby (we took DS to 22 countries across 7 continents including a 4 month trip through South America before his 2nd birthday) but some trips are really worth doing before kids - we lived in Italy for a year while we were in Uni and did a month long contiki tour through Europe, went on a safari in Africa, trekked to Everest Base Camp (and a bunch of other more 'extreme' trips) before DS. Travelling with kids is actually more enjoyable for me, I love that we take the time to get to know a place and DS makes himself known to all of the locals, it is really special, but I think I feel more like that because I travelled a lot before he came along!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well it seems that team travel is a popular opinion, I myself are on Team Baby. TBH i dont think that 27 is that young, and it doesnt sound like you desperately WANT to travel, just that you feel it is something youre expected to do in your 20's. You can travel any time, i plan to wait until my kids are grown up, but I will only be in my 40's then. We take our fertility too much for granted these days.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (15-03-2015),delirium  (15-03-2015),HarvestMoon  (15-03-2015),Just*Ace  (15-03-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-03-2015),WiseOldOwl  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Nobody is denying there's time to travel. It's just the amount of time available as differ on. I would plan a trip and take it within the year. That would make the OP pregnant at 28, giving birth at 29, which isn't young. I don't even think 27 is young to be honest.

You're clearly not from an IVF world VP to think people who experience fertility issues at 30 are rare. Out of 20 people in my workgroup, 3 gave needed fertility assistance around 30.

I know several people who have needed IVF in their mid 20s.
    And I could list just as many people who have fallen pregnant 30+ at the drop of a hat. Both our sample sizes are too small to be touting any statistical significance.

I think we are both proving my point...? That the OP shouldn't take much notice of anecdotal stories online but should rather see her GP.

I'll leave the 27/29 isn't young comment for another time...!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-03-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (15-03-2015),Gentoo  (15-03-2015),J37  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    And I could list just as many people who have fallen pregnant 30+ at the drop of a hat. Both our sample sizes are too small to be touting any statistical significance.

I think we are both proving my point...? That the OP shouldn't take much notice of anecdotal stories online but should rather see her GP.

I'll leave the 27/29 isn't young comment for another time...!
    Some Australian stats for you - One in six couples are "infertile" (about even for male and female factors). At least 1 in every 100 births in Australia are the result of fertility assistance.

Of course, the majority of people won't have much trouble getting pregnant so the odds are generally in your favour. Even if there is a fertility issue, chances are you'd still be able to have children with some assistance.

OP, fertility isn't a given but I don't think the risk is big enough to warrant rushing into having babies unless you think you're ready now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Deciding to start a family... when?!

In all honesty, I think you could make either decision and it would be the right one because you're 27, not 20, so I assume your ideas of what you want out of life are fairly well thought out.

I'm 34. DH and I travelled extensively together in our early 20s, some travel in late 20's, married and babies in early 30s. We have a one year old son and are still traveling (DH's job has moved us to the UK so Europe at our doorstep). Your life doesn't stop because you have a baby but the traveling is different. Our first Paris trip when we were 22 was rushing around squeezing every site in, eating and drinking cheap, flying by the seat of our pants. This past November we took DS to Paris for a few days. Lazy walks in the morning, back for nap and out again for an early dinner and drinking wine in a sidewalk cafe, taking in all of the people. I loved both visits.

I guess my point is this. Before kids, traveling is spontaneous, busy, a whirlwind. After kids, it's laid back but still lovely.

I think at 27 you've had enough life experiences to have it not be a huge regret if you do one or the either first. Like harvs said, you can still travel, you just have to take a brief hiatus.

And yes, sadly, even at 34 we have quite a few friends that had to go through IVF (or other fertility treatment) for years before finally being blessed with a baby.

Eta: we are going away to the south of France this summer with friends that are flying over from Melbourne with their two kids, we've booked a house on air bnb for a week. We have other friends from OZ who have a baby that we're meeting in Greece. In this day and age anything is possible if you're up for it.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 15-03-2015 at 07:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Try why you're travelling. Or just travel for a short time and then start trying. If travelling is on your radar even in the slightest I would give it a bit of a go before having kids. You're 27 so travelling for a couple of months is not going to have an impact on your fertility. Kids can have a pretty big impact on travel so decide whether you want the experience of travelling without kids - you can always travel with kids after but the only time you can do it without is before you have them.
    Definitely agree with babyla. You can travel with or without children but unless you wait until your kids leave home you'll only have one chance to travel 'without' kids and experience that kind of carefree spontaneity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Deciding to start a family... when?!

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Eta: we are going away to the south of France this summer with friends that are flying over from Melbourne with their two kids, we've booked a house on air bnb for a week. We have other friends from OZ who have a baby that we're meeting in Greece. In this day and age anything is possible if you're up for it.
    We do this every year! Love it

However it's only our other friends with kids who are keen to join. Others would rather do something a little more "dynamic".

We just came back from Japan with our 2yo. Lovely trip and can't wait to go back again!
    But we missed out on all the tiny eateries as you couldn't take a young kid in there. Had to stick to bigger places which was a little disappointing.
    We'll do the small eateries once DS is over 12yo though! :-D
    @Cue Also, 1 in 6 couples?! That's heaps. Could you share this statistic in MP (don't want to derail the thread too much)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I were high school sweethearts who didn't travel before having our first baby at 23 and then added 3 more to our collection by 31.
    We travel with children a couple of times a year both within Australia and overseas. We have also travelled overseas twice now as a couple while Nanny looked after our babies.
    Only you will know if you want to travel or start your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just thought I'd add that although some families manage to travel with kids, ours doesn't.

It's a complete nightmare! DS does not cope with planes, changed timetables or being contained and we don't cope with him not coping. Travelling with him as a baby was awful and a toddler even worse. DH and I decided last year, after my Byron bay with DS experience, that any kind of travel beyond a couple of hours in the car was off our radar for at least 5 years. I'm pregnant again now so I'm guessing we'll be looking more like 8+ years.

It's just a reason I guess I'm happy with pre kids travel. We are planning lots of post kids travel still and hoping to get in some family trips when they're older but baby/toddler travel doesn't work for all families.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with babyla above, When we took DS (2.5) on a plane for the first time it was a special sort of hell. Climbing over seats, screaming when buckled in, trying to run up and down aisles. He is usually a good boy but does not like being contained for too long, thank god the flight was only 2 hours. We will not take him on a plane unless necessary until he and all future kids are at least 4-5 and can be entertained with iPads and books etc.